Thats a paint job boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Obviously, to make them better than they were in the first place. All that Monte needs to be all it can be is a big disc brake upgrade. Judging by the work already done, I'm sure it's in the works.

Did you do the LS1 upgrade?

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017

Attachments

• Picture 604.jpg
    Picture 604.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 247
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Beauty, sorry I meant the big brake upgrade

Sorry about that ... yes, I have 14" corvette rotors up front and 12" LS1 in the rear. I'd like to install larger rotors on the rear, but it's more than I want to spend.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Sorry about that ... yes, I have 14" corvette rotors up front and 12" LS1 in the rear. I'd like to install larger rotors on the rear, but it's more than I want to spend.

Oh trust me I know how crazy stupid the pricing is, I thought the rotors looked familiar but didn't think it was the c6 z06 calipers

20180821_101402.jpg

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Yes, I like those calipers you used but I didn't want to spend the money. Looks great!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
So if you don't like 80s tech, 80s powertrains, or even 80s styling, then why buy an 80s car? It would be like buying a 50s car, and cutting the fins off to make it more modern, kind of defeats the point. With these builds, I notice they often rip out the 80s interior and install a modern bubble style interiors and remove as much of the 80s exterior styling as possible. Almost like they are ashamed the car is from the 80s. Why buy something if you dislike every single aspect of it and must completely reengineer it just to stand it? Most of the time, these reengineerings are of questionable quality making their supposed superiority debaitable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
So if you don't like 80s tech, 80s powertrains, or even 80s styling, then why buy an 80s car? It would be like buying a 50s car, and cutting the fins off to make it more modern, kind of defeats the point. With these builds, I notice they often rip out the 80s interior and install a modern bubble style interiors and remove as much of the 80s exterior styling as possible. Almost like they are ashamed the car is from the 80s. Why buy something if you dislike every single aspect of it and must completely reengineer it just to stand it? Most of the time, these reengineerings are of questionable quality making their supposed superiority debaitable.

Well said. Just because something is possible doesn't make it a good idea. Customizing a car can also be a slippery slope when it comes to its value.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
So if you don't like 80s tech, 80s powertrains, or even 80s styling, then why buy an 80s car? It would be like buying a 50s car, and cutting the fins off to make it more modern, kind of defeats the point. With these builds, I notice they often rip out the 80s interior and install a modern bubble style interiors and remove as much of the 80s exterior styling as possible. Almost like they are ashamed the car is from the 80s. Why buy something if you dislike every single aspect of it and must completely reengineer it just to stand it? Most of the time, these reengineerings are of questionable quality.

I look at it as the person who does it probably likes one or more of the part of the car, for example I like the 80s tech and styling but don't like the powertrain. My plan from the beginning was to put an LSA with a TR6060 into the car and change minor parts of the styling to what I like. I've never been a chrome guy so no matter what car even the 50s and 60s cars I think look better without the chrome, so I would automatically change that in any car. Now that is starting to become a big thing in the custom world is to blackout or now paint the chrome bumpers and such, I like that idea but would lean toward gunmetal or something since so many people have gone the black route.
I think sometimes it is cool to see something completely changed, but most times you see things that you think are completely hideous. All I can do is respect the work that went into it, hopefully the person that did it is happy with it.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I can agree with you on the styling part. The Monte SS exterior is what I wanted. I have always loved the body style and really all of the G-bodies for that matter. I ripped the factory engine and trans out of my aerocoupe because lets face it, excluding the GN the powertrains in these cars SUCK. I have yet to feel bad about it. I kept it 80s in the interior with a Grand Prix dash swap but IMO the 80s had some of the ugliest dashboards ever. Especially G-bodies. Huge protruding PLASTIC housings for gauges, not to mention plastic everywhere else - no thanks.

I don't equate any of that with cutting the fins off of a 57. The people that change the exterior to the extent of what Anubis posted above are the ones that would cut the fins off of a 57.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor