The $89 Welder From Harbor Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickolds

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2010
dude those welders are garbage trust me i have been welding for 10 years i would not weld nothing in my car with that thing i would get a hobart or a 110 miler or if worst comes to worst ill do it with oxy acetylene thats just my 2 cents :)

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
85 Cutty is 100% correct about eye trouble, lung trouble, and depending what other dumb things you did, or do. I'm 59, almost 60, and when I was young, damn that was a while ago, I did some really stupid things. I smoked a lot, did body work and painted without a mask, and welded frequently, torch, and arc, sometimes with no mask, maybe sunglasses. I also built race cars, built and installed roll cages, repaired wrecked race cars, and did a lot of engine building. I also raced on dirt tracks all over the New York, New Jersey, and P.A. tracks, plus some other states. That's loud noise, plus all the pounding, grinding, and all the other loud noises that go along with working on cars and trucks. I'm lucky I'm not blind, I do wear glasses now, pretty thick ones, I have COPD, a lung disorder, and my hearing is not great, but I don't need hearing aids. I still work on cars, mostly family and friends, and I work on and drag race my 41 Willy's Coupe whenever I can find time to get it to the track. I'm retired on SSDI because of my lung disorder, but at least I don't have cancer, I consider myself very lucky. This post went on way to long guys, I'm sorry. Just be careful, and take care of yourselves, use the proper safety things, and follow directions.
....................mickey-d :lol:

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
mickey-d said:
85 Cutty is 100% correct about eye trouble, lung trouble, and depending what other dumb things you did, or do. I'm 59, almost 60, and when I was young, damn that was a while ago, I did some really stupid things. I smoked a lot, did body work and painted without a mask, and welded frequently, torch, and arc, sometimes with no mask, maybe sunglasses. I also built race cars, built and installed roll cages, repaired wrecked race cars, and did a lot of engine building. I also raced on dirt tracks all over the New York, New Jersey, and P.A. tracks, plus some other states. That's loud noise, plus all the pounding, grinding, and all the other loud noises that go along with working on cars and trucks. I'm lucky I'm not blind, I do wear glasses now, pretty thick ones, I have COPD, a lung disorder, and my hearing is not great, but I don't need hearing aids. I still work on cars, mostly family and friends, and I work on and drag race my 41 Willy's Coupe whenever I can find time to get it to the track. I'm retired on SSDI because of my lung disorder, but at least I don't have cancer, I consider myself very lucky. This post went on way to long guys, I'm sorry. Just be careful, and take care of yourselves, use the proper safety things, and follow directions.
....................mickey-d :lol:
Hang in there brother, I worked on the line for thirty years from JC Penny auto centers back in the 70's to becoming a Cadillac Master Technician. I also thought it was important to Get ASE Certified as a Master technician 25 years ago. I had to have both Hips replaced back in the late nineties. After a ******* DR. ****ed up my last surgery. It took me 5 years to get my SSI disability , I had to hire a lawyer and go to federal court, to get my bennys. We lost our House and every thing we both worked for.
We have had some bad luck in the last few weeks but Sara and I still have each other, our El Camino and our dogs.
We bought a repo house 3 years ago and finally have our lives back again.
You gotta keep on fighting. :lightsab: :lightsab:
I won't ever give up.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
I have to say, don't buy one if you want one after using it. it welds fine, but it is always hot. What does that mean? It means the wire current does not shut off with the trigger. instead, if you touch it to what you are welding when you are setting up, it will arc. Do this enough times and you will go blind. It would probably be OK with an auto darkening helmet, but I would prefer one that is not constant hot ( most MIGs are wired to be hot when the trigger is pulled only). Remember that the cost of a good home MIG is still less than the cost of a trip to the hospital because you hurt your eyes. So, while this may be a cheap alternative, it may not be so cheap in the long run.
I have the same little flux core welder. I thought it strange that the wire stayed "hot" when the trigger wasn't depressed. I forced myself to think of it as an arc welder (constant hot electrode) and had no problems.
As for eyesight damage related to welding, I think many are neglecting to remember what truly causes blindness! They are blaming seeing an electric arc a few times, for what may have been caused, by thousands of sessions of masturbation :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor