The Junkyard Interchange and Rarities Thread

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
"Jeep Cherokee Steering shaft: Must be STANDARD Cherokee, NOT a Grand Cherokee. This according to several threads here."

Just to let you know this needs to be corrected.
I did this sway last weekend, it's absolutely needs to be Grand Cherokee like 87-93.
The Standard Cherokee looks the same like it will work, ends are correct , but the whole assembly is about 2" too long.
Grand Cherokee works great, bolts right in.
Has to say NISAM or something like that on the joints, and has to be the Steel Shaft and ends, not the Aluminum ones.

Thanks,
Dave

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
drb930 said:
"Jeep Cherokee Steering shaft: Must be STANDARD Cherokee, NOT a Grand Cherokee. This according to several threads here."

I did this sway last weekend, it's absolutely needs to be Grand Cherokee like 87-93.
The Standard Cherokee looks the same like it will work, ends are correct , but the whole assembly is about 2" too long.
Has to say NISAM or something like that on the joints, and has to be the Steel Shaft and ends, not the Aluminum ones.

Thanks,
Dave

So are you refering to the FSJ (grand wagoneer) cherokee in 87? Because if not, all the xj (little cherokees and wagoneers) should have about the same column 84-94. The modern grand cherokees have an air bag column 92 and newer. I was wondering this swap as well, had an 87 cherokee with a black column.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
Oldsmoletick said:
drb930 said:

Thanks,
Dave

So are you refering to the FSJ (grand wagoneer) cherokee in 87? Because if not, all the xj (little cherokees and wagoneers) should have about the same column 84-94. The modern grand cherokees have an air bag column 92 and newer. I was wondering this swap as well, had an 87 cherokee with a black column.

I had a bunch of them apart at the wrecking yard, and i was carrying around a G-body steering shaft.
From what i can tell the Jeep Cherokee like Sport, Laredo, ect shaft has the correct ends, but shaft is about 2" too long.
The Grand Cherokee is the shaft that you need, its an airbag column and the newer different body style than the Cherokee Sports, ect.

Thanks,
Dave

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Ok i think I got you, grand cherokee steering shaft (zj) with a cherokee (xj) column would probably do?

On another note, bucket seats from the mid 90's (mine are from a 95) Olds achieva, buick skylark (N body), will bolt up perfectly to G body bucket or 60/40 seat tracks. They are easy to find in charcoal, gray, or blue.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
85GPLef41 said:
How about the radiator top plate used for electric fan conversions?? Cutlass's with the 307 had them, maybe other cars...I have run into one since i started looking.

That top plate is specific for olds V8 powered a/g-body's (78-88), 260, 307, and 350 diesel or gas variations. It works very nice with a dual fan asy from an 04 or so olds aurora V8, little shroud trimming required to fit around the radiator hoses and transmission lines, but fans fit almost perfectly to the radiator core.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
Oldsmoletick said:
Ok i think I got you, grand cherokee steering shaft (zj) with a cherokee (xj) column would probably do?

On another note, bucket seats from the mid 90's (mine are from a 95) Olds achieva, buick skylark (N body), will bolt up perfectly to G body bucket or 60/40 seat tracks. They are easy to find in charcoal, gray, or blue.

Thanks, that will help alot.

Also for the Budget minded buyer like me who hasn't worked now in 3 months, try 88-93 Blazer 2WD Option Code ZQ8 Front Brake Calipers, Rotors, and Spindles. A real nice brake upgrade.
See Picture-

Attachments

• ZQ8 Brakes2.JPG
    ZQ8 Brakes2.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 4,767
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 user

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
Chrome mirrors!! They would greatly improve my car if I could find a nice set.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
drb930 said:
Oldsmoletick said:

Thanks, that will help alot.

Also for the Budget minded buyer like me who hasn't worked now in 3 months, try 88-93 Blazer 2WD Option Code ZQ8 Front Brake Calipers, Rotors, and Spindles. A real nice brake upgrade.
See Picture-

that info is not correct the brakes in the pic are 98+ s10 blazers and extreme blazer as the trucks did not have them just the blazers and ALL of the 98+ blazers got the brake upgrade not just the zq8 which was a suspension option that did not include the brakes. Here is a good thread to read on this topic
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12563&hilit=s10+extreme+brakes

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
all of the blazers got it? i thought it was extreme blazers only but i am hoping you are right cause i could use at least 1 more set of them. i got lucjy enough to find a rolled extreme blazer with them so i got them but like a retard planned to cvome back for the bilsteins on it and lost them :(

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor