the monte lives again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
after a few days of trying to get my car up and running she finally caught. :D i still don't actually know what was wrong though. she'd fire on intake cleaner but only for a second, so i figured it was bad fuel. started draining the fuel and took a spare can of good fuel and ran it to the pump. it fired right up, even before it could pull the new fuel up! died after 3 secs but fired up when the new fuel got there and stayed running. i had only drained a gallon or 2 from the tank and just reconnected the main line to the pump. she still runs!!! runs pretty good too. 8) through all of this the plugs stayed dry, but the exhaust would blow black smoke, especially when it fired for those half-seconds.
anyone think it could have just had water at the bottom of the tank?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
it lives

my thoughts are if you don't have a electric fuel pump it just took a while to pick up the gas, if water was in your tank and you drained it the water should have come out first...doesn't gas float on water???i know that you must be real happy to hear it run :D how long do you guts have to wait till you can drive up there,is it still snowing???

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
it lives

i meant to spell GUYS :oops:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
it was getting liquid through the clear filter just before the carb, but i think you're right about the water. if it stays on the bottom and the pickup is right there, it's gonna pull the crap first. it was just weird having it fire randomly for half a second. plus i dipped a stick in the drainpan and lit the end--it lit instantly.
it did snow the other day, just a little, and i swear i saw a few flakes today. i don't want to take her driving just yet anyway, there's too much salt around. but it should be over soon, hopefully it will stop raining on the damn weekends so i can work on the rest of the car.
but, damn does she sound better than my little VW diesel!

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
it lives

you guys must not get a lot of seat time,between bad weather and salt,it really must be a bummer!!!!! i'am going drag racing this sunday :D i really hope i can hook up.. ill let you know how it does i'am still sorting out the carb,just changed the jets 2 sizes up from stock. about a month ago it ran 12.62 at 109 with no traction. i.am trying to hit the11.00s on just the motor :twisted:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
yeah i'll be doing as much driving as i can this summer to catch up.
unfortunately there isn't a drag strip for 100mi. and even finding a good straightaway is tough. so i won't know her 1/4 times. but i prefer curves anyway. :)
what compression are you running? it looks like our builds are pretty similar, i can vicariously use you're times :lol:

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
etc.

aw dam you! mine is still in the garage in pieces waiting to be put together from last fall when it first froze!? :cry:

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'm maybe 30% done with the build. she may be driving but she sure ain't done! later this year i hope to get the front suspension.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
it lives

yeah ,i,am lucky because i live about 12 miles from the track :D my pistons are 11.0 i have stock yortec heads with beehive springs and crain full roller self alinging rockers, with that little 268 cam you can;t hear any lope!!! they wont even hear me coming :twisted: my car needs a paint job real bad the sun down here is hard on paint!!! i'am finnishing up replacing my t-top weather striping and fixing the rust!!!

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
vids

is there a vid or audio section of this forum where people have their cars showed or display their engines? i'd like to see/ hear your engines running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor