The s#%t storm continues....

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
So as some of you may know this year has been filled with nothing but problems for me and my money pit. I managed to get 53 miles on a "new rebuilt" TH400 before realizing it was garbage. I took the trans to a local, and well trusted shop by everyone I know, to look at and diagnose it. Turns out the builder was an idiot and ****ed things up so bad I couldn't even reuse the case. So I decided to have a new transmission built by this shop. Fast forward 3 weeks I manage to save the $950 for the trans. The deal was $950 for a transmission to hold 5-600 horsepower with HIS WORD ON IT.

Today I call the shop and he says it's been done for 2 weeks just waiting on me to pay for it. I drive over to the shop, hand him the money and we load it up. As we're loading it up he asks if I plan on using a speedometer. I tell him yes---as if the trans I brought him with speedo housing and gear wasn't enough evidence. He tells me that he blocked this speedo off for "racing". I tell him that I am not taking this transmission like this and after rolling his eyes he decides to pull the plug and swap my speedo parts in. As he is doing this he is throwing tools around and clearly pissed off.

After drilling a hole in the plug and failing to pull it out with a slide hammer he decides to take the tail housing off to get it. As he takes the tail housing off he rips the gasket and acts like it's the end of the world. He tells me he will need some time to fix it and I tell him no big deal. I have already lost the summer with this car what's another couple of days.

Now this is the part that pissed me off. He tells me that he couldn't find any info on my manual valve body so there is NO warranty on it. He says put the trans in, fill it up and take it down the road enough to shift it through all 3 gears. He says if something doesn't feel right to park it immediately and trailer the car to him. This whole time im wondering why in THE **** he didn't call me and say "hey I can't find any info on this valve body so im not covering it". If he would have said that before telling me it was done and waiting for me I would have just told him put a new one in it.

Sorry there isn't a question or anything in here I just need to vent and reevaluate this whole project. Someone get me a beer before I bust some knee caps out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
All I can say is wow...:wtf: is wrong with these shops that don't know what they are doing. If he couldn't find any info on a TH400 he must be living under a rock. I really wish I could do something to help you out...

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
At this point im really starting to wonder why I go to other people for anything. If I can get my money back im just gonna build one myself. I just priced a manual valve body from Hughes for $200 so I may just go with that.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What is really sad is I knew who the OP was as soon as I read the title.

Reactions: 1 user

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
Apparently it becomes more and more difficult to find shops that actually KNOW how to rebuild/repair transmissions! Also, the lack of savoir-faire is a rising issue everywhere... I wish you best of luck with the rebuild one! Stay cool! I know its tempting to slap these noobs around with a big large fish, but they're not worth it! ;)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I got a call back from the guy that actually built the transmission. Turns out the guy I dealt with a few hours ago was filling in for him because he was out with a customer doing a test drive. He got the speedometer issue figured out and apologized for the mix up. He got the new case and didn't think to add the speedometer. He also clarified the previous guy's comments. He says if I get it in the car and it's not right that I should indeed quit driving it and that he will take it from there. If that means trailering it to the shop or coming to my house to work on it he will take care of it.

He didn't add the warranty because the valve body is used and there is no part numbers or anything on it but he gives me his word and he will stand by it. He put it together the same way he always does manual valve bodies but just wanted me to know that without the original instructions he can't guarantee that it is exactly the way it has to be incase this is different type foreign to him.

So I feel a lot better now and I will pick it up tomarow but I still wanna smash the first ****er's teeth down his throat :)

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
My next glass of Rye is dedicated to hoping all is well. Maybe its trans guys ??? When I got my trans done it was a bit of a sh*t show too. He ended the 2nd " tweaking" of the trans by putting down 40' of rubber with my car ( with shitty old tires on it mind you ). Then he got out and said your warranty was 30 seconds or 30 feet and you have used both.

Good luck. And for the record that was a couple of hard driving years ago and the trans is holding strong ( knock on wood ).

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
My next glass of Rye is dedicated to hoping all is well. Maybe its trans guys ??? When I got my trans done it was a bit of a sh*t show too. He ended the 2nd " tweaking" of the trans by putting down 40' of rubber with my car ( with shitty old tires on it mind you ). Then he got out and said your warranty was 30 seconds or 30 feet and you have used both.

Good luck. And for the record that was a couple of hard driving years ago and the trans is holding strong ( knock on wood ).
Lol that's the most retarded warranty I have ever heard.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Yup he's a pretty " different" guy. I am sure I could take it back if I needed to but he really did do some solid work and no issues with me hanging out and helping where I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor