Theft Deterrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeeMy355

Apprentice
Apr 15, 2009
rebelgtp said:
I will be installing a kill switch and a thing or two else as I build my car. However once complete at home it will live in my garage and when I'm out I normally have this guy with me...

doc_sitting.jpg

Oddly enough people tend to leave my rigs alone when he is in there. That pic is kinda old, he is about 60-65 lbs of muscle and teeth, and he is very protective of my cars. I need to get his son trained up as well.

Oh and the garage is right outside my bedroom window with an even bigger (120+ lb) dog that wanders in and out of it :lol:

EDIT:
Found a more recent pic
DSC_34580001.jpg

Nothing like a live theft deterrent! :lol:

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I know I wouldn't hear the tow truck on some nights for 2 reasons.
1) The car is outside my bedroom window at my grandma's house. I don't sleep there every night.
2)I live a block from a rail yard. I'm use to hearing deisels laboring away all night. And clunking, and banging and anyother noise you could imagine.

On that note. I do have a car blocking it in. So if you want it you have to move something else. That really does help I think.
Then there are several kill switches. Find one and flip it, was it on or off? You play games in my driveway with the clock ticking.
Then there's the angry redneck who may come at you with a wrench extender (also known as a pipe) wearing a pair of steel toed boots.

Truthfully. Short of a tow truck, disabling the car will stop most theives.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I remember a buddy of mine had a panel setup in his dash with a series of 5 3 position toggle switches. You had to position each switch in its proper place to be able to start the car. Basically it was like having to put in a code before starting the engine.

Oh yeah and live deterrents work best I have found. Be it my dogs or me coming out the front door packing a Mossberg 590 :lol:

G-BUDDY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
THIBADAUX LA.
kingcolbert83 said:
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Worlds-Best-DIY-Immobiliser/A_107975/article.html

also the grant no wheel no steal
yep thats what i have on my 86 cutlass :twisted:

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
as far as people towing cars away, those people are usually profesionals and chances are they are doing it for cash and i love my g bodies as much as the rest of you but if i am stealing cars and there is a g body decked out sitting there and a new stock say escalade or whatever, i am going after the escalade and making allot more cash off of it. i have honestly never heard of a car be stolen that way but i am not form a huge city but its a big city. not saying its not possible but like they said above, if they really want it they are gonna get it. as far as deterent from the average a-holes and punk kids this is what i do, number 1 always have at least a basic alarm, best to have a pager which i swear by and install on all of my cars. #2 start kills, hide them somewhere where they can not be found easily, #3 column lock, might be ugly but it is sure gonna slow them down, some are near impossible to get off, a club can add to it also, i use both when the cars are just sitting in the drive. my column locks are also removable so if you are at the show or out cruising you can take them off with the pad lock. make sure you use a strap, like the ones included with you cd player, wrap it under the bottom of the metal part in you dash like where the ash tray is and screw it in down there, i have always mounted my amps to a piece of 3/4" mdf, used headless bolts (think they are called lag bolts?) and large washers with those nuts that have the nylon sleeve in them so you cant spin them off with your hand, wrap it in carpet and bolt it to the cross members behind the rear seats. security cameras on your house can help while on your property but might be a little extreme and your neighbors might think you are a drug dealer LOL but at least you can see who is doing it. i also have a shot gun that is NOT loaded that if nothing else scares the crap out of a punk kid so he will either stop in his tracks until the cops show or make him never want to mess with your car again, and also our camera is always near the front door so the wife can snap pics if given the opportunity.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
Re:

squinky33 said:
Try LoJack!!!

i had a D-BAG of a boss when i was in the navy in san diego who had lojack on his escalade. his car got stolen from the parking lot in balboa park during the work day, surrounded by hundreds of other cars, and nobody said anything, his car was too far away for his two way alarm to go off, or it was in his office where he couldn't hear it. well, by the time he noticed the car was gone, it was in a warehouse or a garage probably in tijuana, and unable to be located by lojack satellites. they found it a few days later in a river bed in tecate stripped of everything but the grille.

the moral of the story is, lojack can be defeated as well.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Re: Re:

yourownself said:
squinky33 said:
Try LoJack!!!

i had a D-BAG of a boss when i was in the navy in san diego who had lojack on his escalade. his car got stolen from the parking lot in balboa park during the work day, surrounded by hundreds of other cars, and nobody said anything, his car was too far away for his two way alarm to go off, or it was in his office where he couldn't hear it. well, by the time he noticed the car was gone, it was in a warehouse or a garage probably in tijuana, and unable to be located by lojack satellites. they found it a few days later in a river bed in tecate stripped of everything but the grille.

the moral of the story is, lojack can be defeated as well.

Why would you need/want lo jack on a car you have full coverage on anyway? It's not like you can't just go out and get another Escalade.....it's a little harder to go out and get another of the same G Body however....

I thought Escalade's came with OnStar or something like that. They should be able to track it same as Lo Jack via that. Of course if they remove the antenna/disable OnStar that wouldn't work either

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor