Think I'm gonna make it an SS clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2011
Tiverton Rhode Island
I think I want to make my 81 into an SS car. It already has the SS dash and trim inside, the interior is grey with buckets and console, looks like seats and console out of early Regal or Cutlass? They aren't Monte SS seats and console. My buddy has the nose I need and he traded me all the SS parts for an engine stand. I just don't know if I wanna leave the chrome trim or take it all off and cut and fill the holes were the chrome clips on? Would it look horrible if I left the chrome except the very front piece on the fenders as I need to change those with the nose cone to make it look right. I had a couple SS Montes when I was in high school so I really wanted another but I couldn't pass on this standard Monte.
monte.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
When I bought my 83 SS I put chrome LS trim on it not knowing that the SS's only came in black trim. It looked pretty good but wasnt proportioned right considering all the chrome was around the windows and rear, none on the front. I recently painted the trim black and im waiting on finishing the bodywork to put it back on.

JustinD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2011
Tiverton Rhode Island
Thanks! I'd like to make all the trim black too but its gonna be alot of work to cut, grind and fill the holes along the bottom of the car where the chrome is. I guess I'll have to get a price to have it done.

87LS/88SS

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2008
If that's what you really want then go for it. Just understand doing an SS clone isn't going to increase the cars value if you decide to sell it.

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
clone monte SS with chrome left on from Kent Thomas

Thomas87SSLE.jpg

I did the clone..but only because I thought the SS front looked much better than the SC front

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
why not just get an ss and build it? you have a good mc already. true mcss aren't like chevelles you can probably pick one up pretty cheap if a ss is really something you want, then you will have 2 montes :D

JRG53

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2011
Petal, MS
Just slap an ss nose on it if that is the look you want. You can change the trim to black, if you want, but it still will be a clone. I guess what I'm saying is, make it how you want it to look. You can get all detailed with ss badge, trim etc, but it still won't be an ss, so why bother........unless that's the look you want!

What is that to the left of the rear wheel? That's not a traction bar is it?

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
my vote is to keep it a standard monte

JustinD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 9, 2011
Tiverton Rhode Island
JRG53 said:
Just slap an ss nose on it if that is the look you want. You can change the trim to black, if you want, but it still will be a clone. I guess what I'm saying is, make it how you want it to look. You can get all detailed with ss badge, trim etc, but it still won't be an ss, so why bother........unless that's the look you want!

What is that to the left of the rear wheel? That's not a traction bar is it?

I thought about just swapping the nose and leaving the chrome for now if I hate it I can always take it off and have the body work done to get rid of the tabs. I don't care if it won't be a real SS I just want that look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor