Thinking about ditching the heater/ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how hard it is to make a box to where it still contains the blower fan but its tilted and placed more into the firewall. My blower fan just blew up (literally blew up) on me today on my way home. Pretty scary!

i don't have anything, no heat or A/C. i like the extra room and less weight more than the heat/AC. i'd do a delete panel and use a mojave heater if it really bothered you not having heat. theres more than enough room to mount one under the dash with the heater box out. i contemplated doing that but for the one or two times i wish i had the heat, i don't think its worth it for me.

The Mojave heater set up is kind of interesting. It looks like it would save a bunch of space installed. However, I'd be more interested in getting my A/C back up and running. In which case a Vintage Air set-up would be ideal. It would save space and yet still provide creature comfort.
Since I already have the A/C -heater box in place, it's going to remain there.

Deleting the AC is fine as long as one does it correctly ( true conversion using a complete stock non-AC setup ), but this is rarely the case. I HATE seeing G-bodys with the compressor, brackets, and some hoses removed but still having the rest of the AC crap sticking out of the firewall. I'm not a fan of aftermarket AC delete plated either.

Deleting the heat is just silly IMO. Nothing good can come out of that.

Just for the heck of it:
http://www.acdelete.com/pages/78-88_G-Body.htm

I used to be one of those guys with half of the A/C stuff still in the car. Then my heater core started hemorrhaging fluid. Since I had to take everything apart anyway I got some grinders out, hacked away the A/C section of the box, and fabricated some patch plates. It was crude, but it looks better than it did and I have better access to the passenger side of my engine. But most importantly I still have a working heater, which I appreciate the most. In short, not the best looker but as far as function it's the best of both worlds at very little cost.

307 Regal said:
Just for the heck of it:

I used to be one of those guys with half of the A/C stuff still in the car. Then my heater core started hemorrhaging fluid. Since I had to take everything apart anyway I got some grinders out, hacked away the A/C section of the box, and fabricated some patch plates. It was crude, but it looks better than it did and I have better access to the passenger side of my engine. But most importantly I still have a working heater, which I appreciate the most. In short, not the best looker but as far as function it's the best of both worlds at very little cost.

do you have a pic? Thanks for the link....what all did you hack away/process? whats the deal with the wires that in the area? can i just remove the compressor and wires?

Mathematic said:
307 Regal said:
Just for the heck of it:

do you have a pic? Thanks for the link....what all did you hack away/process? whats the deal with the wires that in the area? can i just remove the compressor and wires?

I may have some pictures but they're just general engine pics. I'll get more in depth on it tomorrow for ya. I'd have to take another look at it myself. I wish I could've documented the process but I didn't have a camera at the time. I'll get back to you.

I took these with my phone earlier today as I was rerouting some disconnected wires. First off I'd just like to clear up that yes I am young, no I don't really know what I'm doing on my car when I start gutting it, yes I am aware that the CCC system is a good system, but no I still prefer my Holley. 😛

05082011.jpg

05082011_001.jpg

As far as wiring for the actual A/C system, I don't remember unhooking a whole lot. Everything mounted on brackets connected to the A/C part of the box can easily find new places to be mounted. The top half is the only part I had off of the car. The bottom half of the housing stayed on the firewall when I did this. Because of this, I only cut material off the front and not the bottom just for the sake of simplicity.
Starting with the bottom half: After I had it cut the way I wanted it, I stretched some wax paper tight over the front (with the help of tape) and traced the big new hole on there with a black marker. After that was done, I cut that shape out of the wax paper, retraced that onto a thin pizza box (not delivery, Digiorno), drew on some tabs to fold over (where the screws would go), cut that out, and then mocked the piece up on my AC/Heater housing. Do any additional tweaks and then you can trace the finished template on to your final material.
When you lay the top piece back on, you'll see where you need to starting cutting away. It's not too much harder than the bottom but it gets a bit involved because of all the bends and angles. Lots of trial and error with more tape and thin cardboard. To get the top half to "seal" with the bottom I just gave my top piece a good bit of overhang and adhered a strip of foam padding to the back of it. I used some kind of sealant around the inside edges of both of my home made "patch plates" but I forgot what it was. It was something my dad had lying around.
As I final note, don't forget you would then have extra screws to use in new places. Personally I had to take some of the screws from the discarded section to tighten the seal between the top and bottom of the heater housing. Mainly around my patch plates since they were more 'simple' than 'efficient' in design. It probably would've helped if I had used a lip design to put more screws through instead of an overhang design. I guess I was just too anxious to get everything back together.

PS: I was actually inspired to do this after seeing it done by another member on here. Needless to say he did a bit better job, but if looks are what you're going for then this probably isn't the way to go. lol I don't remember the name of the user I'm talking about, but I can tell you that this Beige Beast is his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjeOa_u7bDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor