Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
My recommendations are to basic bolt-ons that will fit the 260 intake, carb, and exhaust. This will allow you to have a little modding and have parts that will swap over to another sbo(your sig does mention you getting a sbo). With these bolt-on you are refreshing the motor and addressing any possible problems that could come in the long run. Addressing these problems deters you from have head-aches down the road, which allows you to safe funds for another motor(via sbo or what ever you choose).

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Ribbedroof said:
REALISTICALLY, I don't see any of these being in your budget target. Unless running donor cars in your area are dirt cheap.

Thats what I was saying. But we get alot of those cheap cars around here in Michigan, I could probably find a rusty running 95 Camaro with a 3.8 or something for around a grand if I looked hard enough. The rust belt really kills value around here, but if I was gonna go a fuel injected swap, it'd DEFINITELY have to be from a donor so it can be quicker without having to waste time looking for parts. Anyways, I'm kinda thinking about going with 307 Regal's idea and going with a 307/200R4 with a 3.08 or a 3.42 rear gear. I'm thinking that with a 307 I could get better mileage if I did simple things like a 4 barrel intake and a decent exhaust, all the stuff that I could just bolt up to a 350 Rocket if I got one later. Unless I could find a running 350 vortec and a 4bbl intake for it for less than a grand, the 307 might be the way to go. Any thoughts on this? I'll trade a rebuildable 305 if anyone has one they want to get rid of, lol.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think you're underestimating what a swap like that will entail. There are going to be things needed that will not be on the donor or require additional parts/fabrication.

Around these parts, a $1000 Camaro 3.8 MIGHT make it home, and it'll have a boatload of miles on it....not really the ideal swap candidate for plug and play.

Not sure I understand the rationale behind adding OD and deeper gears...looks like no net gain to me, as 3.08 (axle) x.7 (approx OD ratio) = 2.15.... nearly the same final drive RPM as a 2.14 axle. Little peppier off the line, I guess, but no economy gains.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
dream on mcss said:
Wild Card said:
you forgot to add a chevy 4.3 to the list. you can make one of them get up around 180hp easy. and thay are everywere.

Very true, while I did consider them, I have one in a 2000 blazer and the fuel economy is TERRIBLE so that's why I didn't put them up there, but I did now so be sure to vote. I imagine it'd get much better mileage in a gbody though.

I have always heard people saying that the 4.3 v6 get bad fuel economy. I have a 2000 4.3 S10 pickup, 4x4 and a 5spd stick. I drive it 100 miles round trip everyday to work. I get 19mpg consistently driving back roads and sitting in NJ traffic goin to work. I have seen it as high as 21 doing the same trip and as low at 18. But driving long distance on the highway I get 21-22. Ive even seen it up to 23mpg. Btw, I got 212k on it and owned it since 44k. Not starting an argument just stating my experience.

Good luck with your build. What ever you decide to do be sure to take lots of pictures and start a build thread. I will be looking forward to see it that for sure.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Ribbedroof said:
I think you're underestimating what a swap like that will entail. There are going to be things needed that will not be on the donor or require additional parts/fabrication.

Around these parts, a $1000 Camaro 3.8 MIGHT make it home, and it'll have a boatload of miles on it....not really the ideal swap candidate for plug and play.

Not sure I understand the rationale behind adding OD and deeper gears...looks like no net gain to me, as 3.08 (axle) x.7 (approx OD ratio) = 2.15.... nearly the same final drive RPM as a 2.14 axle. Little peppier off the line, I guess, but no economy gains.
I totally agree on the $1000 Camaro being a potential problem child.

The rationale on the OD/tall gear is just as you stated. You get better economy in town (less working load) and more fun-factor while maintaining the original cruise RPM -- which is what the GM engineers calculated as optimal for mpg. Remember, these cars weren't really about performance. They were trying to meet CAFE standards. Ive played this game on my dad's El Camino trying to chase high mpg. We've had several combinations of engine/transmission/gearing/tuning/supercharging and found that the best combination was essentially as the engineers had designed it.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would go for an SBC 305, they go for pretty cheap but can get good MPGs and decent power. Just be sure to get either a later LG4 with the higher CR or the HO L69 with higher CR. They last a really ling time too and are tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor