This Kinda Gets Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

87GrandPrix

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2009
Michigan
I am very proud of my car and the way it looks and ANY G Body for that matter. But when someone asks me what I drive (without seeing it prior) and I say oh, its a 1987 Pontiac Grand Prix, they make a face similar to the one you make when someone farts in the elevator.

People assume when I say it's an 87 I'm talking about some trash like this..

Grand_Prix100_0118.jpg

But for example this happened to me when I was talking on the phone with a guy who had a truck I was looking at, he asked me what I drove, I told him and he got a little quiet. But when I went to look at the truck in person he said "WOW you need a truck, I don't want to see that baby with rust on it!" then out came "That's a classic now isnt it!?"

All I have to say is, don't judge a car until you see it, because even though I may of insulted that 1988 Grand Prix earlier, some people can make ANY car look great.

Does anyone have similar problems such as this?

I get it alllll the time. I was talking to a guy at work and he was telling me how nice his car was and i mentioned that my car wasnt too bad either. He asked what it was and i say its an 86 grand prix and hes literally laughing at me telling me how crappy my car is before he even sees it. So same day on lunch break i see him walking across the parking lot and i nail it when he sees me and leave a little rubber and alot of sound behind me. When we get back into work he asks me whats in my car and then proceeds to tell me how his car would smoke mine. (he drives an accord) I'm like oooookay buddy whatever you'll smoke me but who is going to be looking at your car? A bystander listening says you two should race and then he says no thats stupid i like my license.
But I agree, whenever I chime in about my car to someone that hasnt seen it, I get stares that say "oh my god thats so funny this guy is actually serious" Then when they see it, they admit they never had any idea that it would look like that.

my friends never pay attention to me when i talk about cars,so when i told them i got another 86 olds cutlass they thought of these

5929020001_large.jpg
,my friends bust me about how no one wants to get in my car,but when they need a ride,its always "a beautiful car".fact is i always get busted about my car.

I find myself in the same situation, mostly because alot of people don't share my common interests in cars. A car to them, is not what a car is to me.

Now, some people will be apprieciative, but others are quick to judge. I ignore those people. In the end, I enjoy what I do... It may get frustrating at times, but hey, it's a hobby. It's a hobby that keeps out of jail, avoiding all the problems people can get into these days.

Plus, I rather spend my time and money on this, than *shoes* and *ipods*
... f**king MTV generation...

Usually when I tell people, I'll get just a "oh ya"
It's when they 'see' the car, the compliments come.
It's funny, because I know the problems with my car, and of course it drives me nuts, but when some total stranger walks up to me and says flat out "that's a beautiful car!" I'm still shocked, because I know it 'looks' good, but I also know it needs some help to actually 'be' good.
Feels good nontheless, to know that the 'curb' appeal is there, lol.

A lot of people look at my car but only a handful of people give me a compliment maybe 1 out of 10. There are a lot of jealous people in this world these days, they know it's nice and they stare but they will not bring themselves to give a simple "nice car dude" or "sweet ride man". Back in the day my generation would always give a compliment or a thumbs up out the window if they saw a nice car but today,,,,.......this generation of kids give you evil stares and all they want to do is race you or vandalize your ride because it's nicer than theirs and after i smoke them they just go away!!! 8)

when i tell people i got a new project car they always ask me what kind of camaro did i get now ( ive owned alot ) when i say i got a 83 pontiac station wagon now i get that look and they are like ohhh yea u got a kid now...
im tired of having to tell people no thats not the reason, i love this little wagon, i wasnt in the market for a car but when i saw it i just had to have it.
my kid rolls in my 425hp z28..the wagons mine!

It seems everyone here has the same problem, probably because more than half of the cars in the 80s were garbage, except our G Bodies and camaros, corvettes and that type. Like in my previous post most cars like mine turned into that. Its unbelievable how the change from 87' to 88' was so HUGE. Same with the oldsmobiles. But Monte Carlo never seemed to have a bad year.

Oh and 84GP455 I would call the police and have you arrested for having such a BEAUTIFUL car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor