Thoughts on this Motor (Ebay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Just browsing eBay and saw this. Honestly, from my 3 or so months in the Oldsmobile world.lol Seems like a good deal. I'm currently pricing parts and labor to rebuild my olds 425 and I keep coming in at about 5-6k (stock rebuild basically). Plus me sourcing an intake and headers. So even more.

I'm not buying the ebay motor but what are everyone thoughts. Seems like a deal, right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Oldsm...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Most of their feedback is from buying stuff.
Speed Pro pistons raise a warning flag for me. Lists location in Utah- never heard of any Olds builders out that way.....
Buyer beware. Where are you located?

I'm in Arkansas. On the surface didn't seem like a bad deal after a few months of searching building an olds engine.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can build alot of motor for 6K. I would NOT buy from an unknown source for that amount of money.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So it has the Performer manifold and probably the 204/214 cam. The other issue is, according to the specs listed, it is probably sitting at 10.2 to 1, if 0 decked, it will be more like 10.5 to 1. I had pinging issues with 9.6 to 1 and .065" with that quench and the 204/214 cam on 91. The Speedpro forged sit the same amount in the hole as stock pistons. So with a just a minor deck clean up and Felpro head gaskets, it will have .060"+ for quench. Also were the pistons installed with the .001" on the box or the .002" in the instructions, either isn't enough, .004" minimum is the right clearance or overheating and scoring occurs. Danger Will Robinson!

Reactions: 1 user

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I’d steer clear of buying an engine on eBay. If you must, make sure you buy it through the eBay checkout and don’t let the seller talk you into buying over the phone “to avoid fees”. That usually also makes it impossible for the buyer to have any recourse if the engine is junk.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor