Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
my 1980 cutlass calais has a q-jet carb on it now and it is less than perfect what would it take to put throttle body injection on it if i bought the parts at pull and save.

Why not just have your original QJet rebuilt? It's hard to beat a correctly calibrated QJet. Also, a TBI swap will require the entire fuel system to be upgraded.

Good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
That's a good read. I'm thinking that a TBI would be an easier swap though..

I agree. I think the info was posted around 2003 before all the new stuff we can buy was out. Figured it was still good to just show how it does require a few other things then just bolting it on and go.

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Here is a link you might find useful where someone wanted to put TBI on his 85 MC SS.

http://www.darklair.com/monte/howto/howto.TPI_swap.html

That article was for a TPI (Tuned Port Injection) not TBI (Throttle Body Injection). TBI would be easier considering that Monte Carlos did come with TBI. Mine has it. It would require significant work though. You'd need an EFI tank, intake, throttle body, ECM, distributor, sensors from a TBI engine and probably some more stuff I'm not thinking about right now. A properly rebuilt and tuned Quadrajet would be a lot easier.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
That article was for a TPI (Tuned Port Injection) not TBI (Throttle Body Injection). TBI would be easier considering that Monte Carlos did come with TBI. Mine has it. It would require significant work though. You'd need an EFI tank, intake, throttle body, ECM, distributor, sensors from a TBI engine and probably some more stuff I'm not thinking about right now. A properly rebuilt and tuned Quadrajet would be a lot easier.

You are right. I just felt doing TPI or a TBI were very similar in all the other processes required to get them working on a original carb engine. My thought was no matter what it is, the job is expensive, time consuming, and a rebuilt Quad carb will work fine and no other mods needed. Being lazy and cheap, I like the carb answer! lol

Reactions: 1 user

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
With all the options for TBI and (TPI if you wanted) out there on the aftermarket it is getting really hard to stick w/ the carb is good theory. Especially with the cost coming down on systems. Yes there is an obvious fuel system upgrade that needs done, but once it is, tuning and future power adding is a simple click or drive away from the EFI learning and adapting to those changes. Done correctly EFI will produce more power and economy then a carb could dream of with the added benefit for some of less emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor