throttle position sensor in a olds 307 carb need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
ok after throwing parts at my new 88 cutlass i found out that i need to replace the throttle position sensor on/in the carb. ive never rebuilt or fixed a carb before. i normally just buy a new one but my funds are tight and it looks as if im going to have to make the repair. any suggestions or tips i should know about taking a q-jet apart/ rebuilding it before i just jump in to it. this is my daily driver right know and is getting worse gas milage then built 355 in my wagon due to the fact that its running way too rich. please help. thanks

HurstandGN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2011
Ocean County, NJ
I have had mine apart a couple of times. To replace the TPS, you don't need to pull the carb off the car, you can just remove the top of it to get to the sensor. While the top is off you will need to drill out the plug that covers the adjustment screw so you adjust the new sensor to spec. I don't know what the voltage should be off the top of my head, but if you have a repair manual it will be listed there. You will also need an adjustment tool to get to the screw that is under the plug. They can be purchased on line, here is one, item number 362

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDispl ... &kw=THE362
http://thexton.com/index.cfm?pageid=42& ... carburetor

You will have to probe the wires that attach to it with your multi meter to read the voltage while they are attached, with the key in the on position, if I remember correctly.

Good luck
Paul

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Replacing the TPS is pretty easy. You should'nt have any troubles. As stated though, you will need to remove the cap in the airhorn so you can access the TPS adjustment screw for setting the voltage ( .41-.48 at idle ). The exact voltage is not a real critical adjustment. Just get it 'around .45' and you'll be fine.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor