tight clutch pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The 79 Lemans, Grand Am and Grand Prix were available with the 301 4 speed combo. Probably one of the rarest of the manual transmission A bodies though.
Well that figures. The 301 manual flywheel I got was indeed a 1979 unit.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
gnvair..I'm interested in your conversation of a 697 bellhousing to get the stud hole in the lower position. You said labor intensive. If you don't mind sharing, how many hours we talking about? Was it a difficult job? I don't weld but am thinking I'll get someone around here to duplicate your plan. How was the milling done? Let me ask, do you have a bellhousing worked over that you would sell? I believe the only way I'll keep the 11" clutch and get proper linkage movement in my gbody is with a bell housing that can use a curved fork which needs the pivot in the lower spot. I've seen 697s for sale, but only the ones with a high stud. The one I need, lower stud placement, is super rare. I'm getting desperate.
Its been 15 years since I made the last one but I would say between the different labor operations and the machining set up and welding that there was about 4 hours involved.
From the top of my head:
1) machine aluminum plug on lathe to fit old pivot stud hole
2) tig weld the plug on both sides of the plug
3) set up the bell housing twice in the Bridgeport to mill the rear surface that the transmission bolts to.
4) flip the bell housing over and machine the surface of the pivot stud casting on the inside.
5) flip the bell housing over again and drill the main hole for the pivot stud.
6) drill the counter bore to recess the pivot stud
7) finally is tap the hole for the pivot stud.

I do not have any bell housings ready to go. The one I pictured I bought to put on my current Malibu and still needs the machine work which I will do over the winter.

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
Its been 15 years since I made the last one but I would say between the different labor operations and the machining set up and welding that there was about 4 hours involved.
From the top of my head:
1) machine aluminum plug on lathe to fit old pivot stud hole
2) tig weld the plug on both sides of the plug
3) set up the bell housing twice in the Bridgeport to mill the rear surface that the transmission bolts to.
4) flip the bell housing over and machine the surface of the pivot stud casting on the inside.
5) flip the bell housing over again and drill the main hole for the pivot stud.
6) drill the counter bore to recess the pivot stud
7) finally is tap the hole for the pivot stud.

I do not have any bell housings ready to go. The one I pictured I bought to put on my current Malibu and still needs the machine work which I will do over the winter.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Gives me an idea what's ahead for me.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You could use the 621 bell housing....
If you know a good welder you can have them build up the area on the inside of the bell housing with weld to look similar to the 697 bell housing and then do all the operations I mentioned above. That would save you the time and expense of having to source a 697 bell housing.

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
You could use the 621 bell housing....
If you know a good welder you can have them build up the area on the inside of the bell housing with weld to look similar to the 697 bell housing and then do all the operations I mentioned above. That would save you the time and expense of having to source a 697 bell housing.
Alright, that's an option. When you repositioned the stud lower on the boss what measurement did you use from the upper position?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I used to aluminum braze alloy bicycle parts. I didn't know what I was doing but I managed to repair several brake calipers.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor