Tilt column with manual steering?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Or maybe the kind of person that would not spring for PS would also never spring for a tilt column? I too have never seen a tilt column without PS.
I think this scenario is probably very very true perhaps with the exception of very large people that needed the wheel to midsection clearance

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
From 78 Malibu Sales Brochure. Manual steering only available with V6 and non A/C Cars. No idea on the definition for "required all applications".

78 Mal Sales Lit PS.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
From 78 Malibu Sales Brochure. Manual steering only available with V6 and non A/C Cars. No idea on the definition for "required all applications".

View attachment 222013

According to the brochure, 1978 Malibu V8's required PB (all wagons got PB regardless) and PS. V6 without A/C could get by without PB and PS for whatever reason. Odd too, no driver power bucket seats available for Malibu, but the driver side 50/50 bench did have power available.

But EVERY Malibu was afforded the tilt wheel option regardless, based on everything I've seen so far. So for now, it appears 78 Malibus could have tilt wheel and manual steering with a V6.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No idea on the definition for "required all applications"
I think they left out the word 'other'. I am more confused now then before!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I think they left out the word 'other'. I am more confused now then before!
You're right. Look at the Power Brake option verbiage. It has "other". Proof reader fell asleep at the wheel. Or it was in Chinese and got lost in translation.

Probably should read something like this:

很多动力转向转向。如果没有配备,则启用V6。仅当客户订单告诉工厂安装时。所有 V8 发动机转向系统均采用液压系统提供足够的动力。

"Much power steering to turn. Enable V6 to have if not equipped. Only if customer order tells factory to install. All V8 engine steering powered sufficiently with hydraulics."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Interesting read. I’ve got the tilt column out of of my 79 wagon right now and partially disassembled. My dad stuck a manual steering box out of a s10 (I believe) in the car way back when. Sounds like I should inspect it??

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Manual steering was last available in the 1980 models and only on V6 models without air conditioning.
I have never seen anything restricting the combination of tilt column and manual steering. I will note that when I was still daily driving my 87 Grand National in 2001-2002 I had play in the steering that ended up being that plastic upper joint. I am not sure how or why it wore out. But I have seen plenty of guys with manual steering and the tilt column. My only advice is that the load is lessened with skinny front tires.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had play in the steering that ended up being that plastic upper joint. I am not sure how or why it wore out
I do know that there was at least three different ways to preload that plastic sphere. On my 1967 column there was a skinny spring that went right through the sphere into small indents in the joints. I would rate that spring at 'ball point pen' spring strength. Next came an 'S' shaped spring that made my column very tight. I got one from a 1972 Chevy truck column because I needed the tilt section as mine was bent. Lastly they uses a crazy spring that needed a special tool to install it with a bench vise. I would imagine those were pretty tight. But it is still plastic and I don't trust it since there are plenty of replacement sphere assemblies available. There must be a reason for that.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
From 1968 and 1969 sales brochures:
Tilt2.jpg
20180819082925-61669267-me.jpg
I guess back then they were a little more cautious or didn't think that plastic part would survive. I haven't taken apart a later column so i don't know if that part got up-graded.

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
2EF5D4CC-E9E3-43A9-ABED-5D28D3C6F1D7.jpeg

I pulled this column out of my dads basement a few weeks back. He bought it off eBay back in probably 1999 after someone busted the column up in my wagon but it just sat in the box for 23 years. I’m not sure why he bought it. Maybe to scavenge parts off of for the one in the car. My brother said to just leave this one alone and he could probably replace the parts in mine. It looks like this column might be for a 4 speed car?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor