time to piece her back together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: got ****ed by a deer today

87montecarlomrc said:
At least our old cars are tough, if they was in a newer car that would of destroyed that front end and made the air bags go off and probly totalled it.

That all depends. I had a deer hit my daily driver '98 Intrigue years ago and it just put a small dent in the hood. Air bags didn't go off. It's my understanding that they air bags are calibrated for something like this and takes more force than an animal collision will cause at most speeds anyway.

If I would have hit that same deer in my '87, I can't even imagine the damage that would have happened. Plastic grilles would have been toast, fiberglass header panel-toast, etc.

I deer will kill your cutlass header panel. When the deer hit mine I lost the header panel, bumper cover, both headlight bezels, both grills, and it bent the hood down 2 inches in addition. Only good side is my headerpanel got hit a month earlier so all I really lost was my grills, which I still havnt found a nice pair to replace. Thats all at like 40-45 or so.

Too bad you hit a deer. Damage looks pretty bad. If I were you Id find the parts yourself, and take the money and run. Thats if you can change fenders and spray paint. They wont give you enough money to fix it judging the damage, unless you have it as an agreeded value.

FE3X CLONE said:
87montecarlomrc said:
At least our old cars are tough, if they was in a newer car that would of destroyed that front end and made the air bags go off and probly totalled it.

That all depends. I had a deer hit my daily driver '98 Intrigue years ago and it just put a small dent in the hood. Air bags didn't go off. It's my understanding that they air bags are calibrated for something like this and takes more force than an animal collision will cause at most speeds anyway.

If I would have hit that same deer in my '87, I can't even imagine the damage that would have happened. Plastic grilles would have been toast, fiberglass header panel-toast, etc.

That's true it does depend, a new camary turned into me in my 74 chevelle and I hit her two driver doors and caved both doors in and center piller and busted the windows, I think it ended up totaling it but I'm not for sure, it just chipped my paint and my blinker popped out, the cops came and couldn't believe what happened to that car, but that chevelle was a solid car lol,

i found some aluminum radiators for about $450 from vendors on here but its kinda of spendy. a vendor also has has a 3 core aluminum but with plastic tanks for $150 iirc. would i want to stay away from plastic tanks? i just see alot of them split with age but thats on daily drivers too i guess. i have seen some of the ebay radiators but i haven't found the thread yet of someone mentioning them whether they were good to use those or not. maybe is was shogun or od showtime

well, did you dress the deer and get some meat atleast? 🙂

oh yea. when we gutted it it looked like best a guy could get out of the front is hamburger but the hind quarters are still good. gonna chop me some steaks when ever i get it out of the freezer. NO there isn't a whole carcase in my freezer. just took a sawzall and made the good stuff smaller to fit :lol: i thought about having the head mounted so i can put it in the garage so whenever i walk past the son of a b*tch i can slap him. :twisted:

i'll have to add the cell phone pic of open heart surgery to the photobucket collection

79malibu said:
ins guy came at noon today and i got $4680 minus the 100 decd. $1500 for parts and rest for labor and paint etc for the replacement parts. i couldn't talk him into a hood cowl or full paint job :lol: as i tear it down if there is anymore than what we seen from breif looks he says he will adjust it and if some parts run more than listed in there program. the printout i got has most of the parts listed with gm part numbers and prices too. but some have discontinued parts or numbers and etc.

What ins company you with? I'm surprised they didn't total it. Glad they didn't!

I'm getting ready to put my Cutlass back on the road and Bambi is bad in my area, too. Had 3 bounce off my 91 LeSabre in the last few years. I wasn't going to go the full coverage route since I figured they'd total it but since yours paid off I may consider it.

Fix it yourself and save the labor, buy good used parts, take the extra cash and buy that cowl hood, and you should have a good chunk of change towards a paint job :>)

86Cutlass383SR said:
79malibu said:
ins guy came at noon today and i got $4680 minus the 100 decd. $1500 for parts and rest for labor and paint etc for the replacement parts. i couldn't talk him into a hood cowl or full paint job :lol: as i tear it down if there is anymore than what we seen from breif looks he says he will adjust it and if some parts run more than listed in there program. the printout i got has most of the parts listed with gm part numbers and prices too. but some have discontinued parts or numbers and etc.

What ins company you with? I'm surprised they didn't total it. Glad they didn't!

I'm getting ready to put my Cutlass back on the road and Bambi is bad in my area, too. Had 3 bounce off my 91 LeSabre in the last few years. I wasn't going to go the full coverage route since I figured they'd total it but since yours paid off I may consider it.

Fix it yourself and save the labor, buy good used parts, take the extra cash and buy that cowl hood, and you should have a good chunk of change towards a paint job :>)

iirc besides the normal full coverage insurance i have on it, it is a stated value ryder added on the policy. it is basically like a stated appraisle (ex. mine was $8500) that if the car was totally lost to say a fire or a son of a b*tch steals it. this way the full coverage would only go up to the total out value of the car but the stated value goes higher to whatever value(which is an estimate of all my/your investments into the car minus any blood, sweat,or tears) you come up with ur insurance agent to cover your $$$$$ invested in the car. that way all my money in the engine/trans/driveline/rear end tire and wheels etc is covered. i'm age 29 and have american family insurance for the last 8 years and this has been my only claim ever. i think everyone should look into a stated values add on for peace of mind. my cost for the malibu is about $60-70 a month. had i not had the stated value option i would have gotten only about $1500 and it would have been totalled. i think it was cheap insurance since how old it is and possible risks and long as i didn't go much over the $10k stated value mark yet it will stay under $100/month. once it gets the full paint job and interior redone, oh yea the value is going up.

oh yea i plan on fixing what i can myself this weekend. the extra cash will go to tie up a few loose ends on some performance stuff and well as the body/ chassis. i will get a 2nd hood and have it painted with the stocker when i get the full paint job this winter but i can't decide if i need a 2 or 3'' cowl. would a 2'' fit a supercharger under it? it won't have a grill or passenger side headlight/blinker for this weekend but i will be borrowing the shrounds + radiator out of the brothers 84 mc ss for temporary. we are stripping the monte down to put in a loaded 305 with a 700r4 swap exactly like what we did to the wagon but it wouldn't be finished till the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor