Timing or vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMonteCarloKid

Apprentice
Mar 5, 2010
My car starts up just fine and idles fine in park but in reverse or drive it wont idle it just slowly dies. It also stumbles on take off and if i get on it mid cruise.. I think its misfiring on one cylinder so i'll be investigating that too

So i hooked a vacuum gauge up to the full vacuum port on the carb while at idle and it read between 11 and 12. I have no clue if that is good or bad. My timing seems to be fine though.

IMG_20130406_185911_zps5da022e0.jpg

11 or 12 is a bit low for a stock cam engine. id suspect a vacuum leak with the stumbling in gear aspect as well.

its not a stock cam. idk the specs but its definitly bigger the whole engine was built for performance. idk how much of a difference that makes. and if there is a vacuum leak how do i find it?

Maybe you have just answered your own question, a problem with hotter cams is poor idling, however if you can rectify your misfire you should be good to go.

Roger.

X2 on the wires..looking at the pic,it looks like 4 and 3 are switched. I would double check your firing order..timo22

First, make sure you have no misfiring cylinders.

TheMonteCarloKid said:
My timing seems to be fine though.
Does that mean you actually checked it? SBCs with radical cams often like more initial timing. Just be sure you don't end up with too much total. You may also have too much cam for a stock torque converter. Knowing what cam you actually have would be helpful.

thanks guys. I'm actually going to buy new wires and plugs today. As far as finding out which cam i dont think i'll ever know.. My dad put this motor together back in 04/05 and he died in 05 so i'm pretty burned on specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor