To Cat or not to Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
So I have a dilema. I'm shopping for an exhaust for the Cutlass and I'm contemplating going cat-less.

I have a test pipe for my Talon but I always leave it on for a week then wuss out and put the high flow cat on.

So the things that I'm thinking about are price (test pipe MUCH cheaper), and power. I don't really notice much difference in the Talon, just a little slower spool up, but it's only mid 300 horse and I hope to get mid 500's out of the Cutlass and I have heard of 4-5 lb's a minute loss using a cat.

But even though almost all my friends usually ditch their cats I'm still nervous about getting pulled over and getting an EPA fine ($10,000 :shock: )

Sound it not so much an issue as the car will NOT be daily driven in any sense of the word, but will be street "legal".

Your thoughts?

EDIT The reason this is in the engine swaps section is because the motor going back in is a Buick 3.8 Turbo.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
I've never heard of the EPA chasing down a vehicle owner and collecting a $10000 fine; that is reserved for a business, such as a muffler shop and even then it is very rare.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That's 10,000 per device removed, and it's the max fine. I wouldn't think they'd go after a private individual, but if you are that worried about it, you'll likely incurr the wrath of the EPA somehow in the construction of your car. Running a significant increase in power usually would involve at least a PROM chip change, and even changing to a unapproved chip is still considered tampering within the letter of the law. As for me, I do run a 3 inch single cat on my 350 with no computer and an older Q-Jet/HEI setup for air and fuel on top of a no EGR intake and with the air injection MIA. I also have another car ( a 1979 AMC Spirit) with 2.5 in duals and no cats or anything other than a PCV valve for emissions controls. That one's loud and makes me more nervous, but I have never been pulled over and inspected ( my state has no inspection program of any kind either).

gman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2006
Winnipeg
Money should'nt be a problem if you are really concerned. A universal hig flow cat can be bought on ebay and probably other places for 50 - 60 bucks. Thats not much for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor