To computer or not to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
I know im beating a dead horse (sorry PETA people) but i need some help. So some reason every time I go looking through the Pantheon of gbody information on this site I can't seem to find a direct or somewhat agreed upon answer on whether or not the factory computer is still needed after an engine swap in a G-Body Oldsmobile Cutlass. I ask because I'm swapping out my tired Olds 260/TH350C for a Olds 350/TH350 that I've built. I'm also doing away with the air conditioning and installing a factory heater only box.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Depends on what carb and ignition you're using. If stock factory parts, then yes. If other, no.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Not sure how a "direct answer" hasn't been seen since this subject has been beaten into the ground from the few things I've seen over the years, and I don't pay attention to anything Small Block given I LS Swap everything..

As mentioned above, if you are keeping the exact factory Computer controlled stuff, then answer is obvious.

If not, then also, answer is obvious.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not sure how a "direct answer" hasn't been seen since this subject has been beaten into the ground from the few things I've seen over the years, and I don't pay attention to anything Small Block given I LS Swap everything..

As mentioned above, if you are keeping the exact factory Computer controlled stuff, then answer is obvious.

If not, then also, answer is obvious.
Apparently not.

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
Well I guess that answers my question. I was just curious after reading many posts the last few days because it seems to be that everyone has a differing opinion when it comes to how the HVAC systems on the Oldsmobiles operate. I don't remember how long ago the post was but I remember something from CloneTIE that said that every system was a bit different by division in General Motors and that Oldsmobiles may use the computer more for operation in the HVAC. Obviously I'm asking to learn but hey whatever.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I'm also doing away with the air conditioning and installing a factory heater only box.
Heat only is very simple with no computer involvement, so there's that.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well I guess that answers my question. I was just curious after reading many posts the last few days because it seems to be that everyone has a differing opinion when it comes to how the HVAC systems on the Oldsmobiles operate. I don't remember how long ago the post was but I remember something from CloneTIE that said that every system was a bit different by division in General Motors and that Oldsmobiles may use the computer more for operation in the HVAC. Obviously I'm asking to learn but hey whatever.
On our cars regardless of the engine, the computer won't be needed to have the HVAC function. Some later ones will have some interaction but for your 260 to 350 swap just refere to the earlier Olds powered Cutlass set up like the '78-'80 cars but I'd suggest setting up the wiring of an '80 as those are closer in set up to you '82. There are variances between the years with under hood function componets.

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
On our cars regardless of the engine, the computer won't be needed to have the HVAC function. Some later ones will have some interaction but for your 260 to 350 swap just refere to the earlier Olds powered Cutlass set up like the '78-'80 cars but I'd suggest setting up the wiring of an '80 as those are closer in set up to you '82. There are variances between the years with under hood function componets.
Thank you, its much appreciated. That will be very helpful in getting this taken care of.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

I am not as familiar with Olds CCC systems but I think that in 86+ Cutlasses the ECM controls the compressor instead of a pressure switch.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am not as familiar with Olds CCC systems but I think that in 86+ Cutlasses the ECM controls the compressor instead of a pressure switch.
My 86' Regal came with a 307 and nothing on the computer side controls my AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor