Today's junkyard find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
20190205_103530.jpg
20190205_112908.jpg
I work on this one from time to time. It is a V12 engine with piggybacked blowers. I have worked on all of the engines mentioned except the 16. I never seen one of those. I rebuilt lots of 4 and 6 cylinder ones. You guys are missing one of the neatest concepts of the engines. The component can all be put in backwards and 180 degrees. They can either be a left rotation engine or a right rotation engine depending on how you put the engine together. You have to pay attention when you put one together. I have actually turned a 4 cylinder left hand rotation engine into a right hand rotation engine. I was told they did that for boats. They would put a left rotation engine on one side and a right hand rotation engine on the other side with the bellhousings together and cranks would rotate the same direction eliminating the need for gearboxes. Sorry for the long post. I love these engines, to bad they are becoming a thing of the past now.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I didn't know you could just reverse some components and change the rotation of the engine. I would have thought certain parts would have to be replaced.

The 671 often called "gray marine" engines were used on most if not all of the US landing craft commonly called "higgins boats", used to land troops on beaches in WW2, then tons of them were sold as surplus after the war and found their way into civilian watercraft.

Reactions: 1 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I didn't know you could just reverse some components and change the rotation of the engine. I would have thought certain parts would have to be replaced.

The 671 often called "gray marine" engines were used on most if not all of the US landing craft commonly called "higgins boats", used to land troops on beaches in WW2, then tons of them were sold as surplus after the war and found their way into civilian watercraft.
If you are not careful when driving a truck with one of these engines, you can actually get the motor running backwards. Of course, then the blower is sucking instead and you have almost no power, but because it is only a two stroke, it can rotate backwards.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
6v71 were also used by the military in M113 armored personnel carriers. I've done many rack adjustments and blower barbell replacements on them

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
6v71 were also used by the military in M113 armored personnel carriers. I've done many rack adjustments and blower barbell replacements on them

Uses two of them doesn't it?

While I want to say "most" M4 Sherman tanks were powered by radial (gas) continental aircraft type engines, I know some were powered by 671 engines, two or three of them coupled together. Believe they were mostly used by the Marine Corps in the Pacific theater, while the regular army mostly used gas powered Sherman's in Europe.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
M113's only use one.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
M113's only use one.
Oh okay cool.

Turns out I was thinking about the M59 which was the predecessor to the M113, it had two engines but they were gas. I almost bought one of them one time like 10 years ago. Till I came to my senses and realized it would be completely useless and cost a fortune to fix haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
One of our farm trucks, an early 80's gmc brigadier has an 6-v92T. It's a normal 6v but it has a turbo that blows into blower. Dad said when he rebuilt them back when they were newish the turbo would make more boost than the blower would consume and the back of the gear drive would be worn so essentially the turbo was putting power into the crank via the blower.

The only thing I know for land moving equipment to get the 16v92 is the BigBud 747 which is still the largest ag tractor dating back in the late 70's. From the factory it was 750ish hp and it's up to 1100 now but it sits in museums

The euclid dozer is the coolest detroit engined thing in my opinion. Back when GM did everything they put 2 6-71's, one in both sides each running one track. They pivoted in the center. Really cool castings and everything.
euclid-model-tc-12-brochure-cover.jpg

Close #2 for favorite detroit powered thing is a late 50's oliver 990. 3-71 engine.
a82273.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
  • Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor