Tool to remove calipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradley Ambriati

Apprentice
Nov 29, 2016
Im about to change the break pads on my 80' monte.
And im just wondering what exactly i need and what size to remove the calipers so i can hurry and go get it before the temp starts dropping too low lol. I already looked at it the best i could and i know i dont have what i need to remove them.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
3/8" allen socket, pry bar, C clamp if you want to push the piston in fast, hose pinch off pliers (NOT vise grips!) and a wrench for the bleeder screw if you want to do it right.

Honestly I use a c-clamp.... haven't had any issues yet but it can tear the boot. Nice thing about pinching the hose and opening the bleeder screw is you can tell if your piston is starting to seize. You should be able to push the piston in by hand if you have the bleeder open.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bradley Ambriati

Apprentice
Nov 29, 2016
Wrench and c clamp?[

The pistons holding on the caliper has a hex head as if i need an allen wrench or a t-socket ? But i dont know what size. I saw a video on youtube on a 96 mc and thwy guy had to use a t60 socket to get it off im just not sure if it was the same

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always used a really big C clamp to "slowly" compress the piston and never had an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Bradley Ambriati

Apprentice
Nov 29, 2016
3/8" allen socket, pry bar, C clamp if you want to push the piston in fast, hose pinch off pliers (NOT vise grips!) and a wrench for the bleeder screw if you want to do it right.

Honestly I use a c-clamp.... haven't had any issues yet but it can tear the boot. Nice thing about pinching the hose and opening the bleeder screw is you can tell if your piston is starting to seize. You should be able to push the piston in by hand if you have the bleeder open.

I cant get the top piston out cause the frame is in the way
How do i go about that? What am forgetting?

Bradley Ambriati

Apprentice
Nov 29, 2016
Turn steering wheel

Well now i just feel dumb lol
Now ima have to put my battery in just to do that (had a strange occurance that lead me to believe someone may have been tampering with my car and the doors aren't able to lock so i keep the battery out)
Thanks boss!
I'll give it another go later. I put ecerything away cause its starting to rain here

Reactions: 1 user

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
When I have done the front pads my wash bucket placed upside down was the perfect height to rest the loose caliper on to remove and change the pads when I kept the caliper attached. Like others I use a large c clamp to compress the piston in. If the brake fluid resevoir is fill make sure to remove some with a "turkey baster" so when you push in the piston the fluid going in does not overflow. I would like to bleed my system but if I do not have a helper I keep the system closed and never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor