Towing Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn F.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
I have a 1980 El Camino and am trying to figure out how much weight I may be able to tow with it... I plan to upgrade the rear suspension with new springs, airbags in the springs and new shocks. I am wanting to pull a small 6 foot trailer with a 100 gallon water tank, pressure washing and a handful of pressure washing tools (residential pressure washing).
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I would love to be able to use this vehicle for work but not sure if it's going to do the job or not.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
What engine, trans, rear gear, tire? etc etc

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
I didn't have anything else to do so I looked it up this is what i found for factory recomends.. hope this helps

What is the towing capacity of a 78-88 El Camino?
(Author: Ernie G. from http://www.malibunirvana.com)
According to the Chevy Recreation and Trailering Guide there are three possible trailering configurations for an El Camino. All require a deadweight hitch bolted to the frame through pre-punched holes. Equalizing and antisway assemblies were also required and were available through outside sources.

Light towing (class 1 hitch):
An El Camino equipped with a 3.8L (LC3/LD5) motor, automatic transmission, and a 2.73 rear can pull up to a gross weight of 2000 pounds with 200 pounds tongue load.

Medium towing (class 2 hitch):
An El Camino equipped with a 5.0L (LG4) motor, automatic transmission, and a 2.41 rear can pull up to a gross weight of 4000 pounds with 500 pounds tongue load.

Heavy towing (class 3 hitch):
An El Camino equipped with a 5.0L (LG4) motor, automatic transmission, and a 2.73 rear can pull up to a gross weight of 5000 pounds with 600 pounds tongue load.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Shawn F. said:
I have a 1980 El Camino and am trying to figure out how much weight I may be able to tow with it... I plan to upgrade the rear suspension with new springs, airbags in the springs and new shocks. I am wanting to pull a small 6 foot trailer with a 100 gallon water tank, pressure washing and a handful of pressure washing tools (residential pressure washing).
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I would love to be able to use this vehicle for work but not sure if it's going to do the job or not.

100 gallons of water is 834 lbs. With the trailer, tank, and equipment, you're probably looking at about 2,000 lbs total.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think you'd have to get a class III custom made. I have a class II and upsized and upgraded the bolts to mount it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor