TPI system

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Has anyone installed the tpi systems in there cars was it worth it and was it a nightmare. ive put them in camaros before but they was already set up for it.. my main question is how did everyone do there fuel lines and fuel pump because running the wires and all that isnt hard to me

I have not done it yet but I will be with my Cutlass eventually (well maybe) I have the TPI off a '91 Corvette sitting in my shop at the moment. I still need to get a wiring harness and computer for it though I'm thinking I will be going with a Megasquirt for the computer.

I dropped a 383 TPI in my 84 Cutlass and am now getting ready to drop it in my 86. I used a Howell harness but if you're good at wiring a lot of guys are using the 87 or 88 factory f-body harness.

I bought a Monte 4.3 tank and had the Cutlass filler neck soldered on and it went right in. Used the Monte 4.3 in tank assembly with an f-body in tank pump. Ran new 3/8" main lines, 5/16" return and 1/4" (?) vapor line.

I'm not even close to being good at electrical wiring and with theharness I used, it was fairly simple. Excellant instructions! Little pricey for the harness but worth it for a NEW harness compared to using a 20+ year old harness converted for another car.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'll help all I can.

that sounds pretty easy. did you run all new line from the tank to the tpi

From my experience, yes, most definately run new lines. I used my old main line as the return, the V6 that came out was running fine as far as I could tell (not that a V6 required a lot of fuel anyway). Long story short, I couldn't get my fuel press below 100 psi. The old main (now return) was plugged and wouldn't let the fuel return back to the tank. I ran a new return back to the tank, pressure returnedback to normal.

Since you really need a 3/8" main for fuel injection and a g-body has only 5/16" lines, running a new main AND return isn't that much more cost or time consuming and may circumvent a problem before it even rears it's ugly head.

ok cool. speedway sells some fuel line in 20 foot rolls so i will do it that way because i want to do it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor