trans question. shifting too soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
Sorry for the hijack, Sleepy!

But thanks for the answers, sounds like the best solution is pretty clear - manual 4 Speed! But most likely I'll stay with the auto for now and see if I can collect all the conversion stuff for a future project.

I'm thinking the quick solution is to just buy a transmission out of an SS or GN, already set up for the 3.73. That'll get rid of the speedo error, too, with less work for me, and maybe cheaper.

Is there a way to make sure a transmission is what I need - by numbers or something on the transmission itself? I sure don't trust what the sellers say.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
im not sure what the tv cable is but i changed a 305 from a 2 barrel to a 4 and it was shifting crazy until i realized i forgot to adjust the transmission kick-down cable. if you never did it before its simple. on the kick down cable housing there is a button you press in and then go inside your vehicle and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor until you hear a click and ur good to go. hope this helps man.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
cutlassguy said:
im not sure what the tv cable is but i changed a 305 from a 2 barrel to a 4 and it was shifting crazy until i realized i forgot to adjust the transmission kick-down cable. if you never did it before its simple. on the kick down cable housing there is a button you press in and then go inside your vehicle and press the gas pedal all the way to the floor until you hear a click and ur good to go. hope this helps man.

I think they're technically the same thing. I've only heard it called a tv (throttle valve) cable on a 200-4R.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
sounds right. i just know if you forget this, your car will shift like a swamp-donkey unless you get lucky and it magically sets itself...aside from this i would check the modulator valve on the transmission. espically the vac. lines that run to it. ive had the rubber connection split on me and it took awhile before i even noticed cuz without moving it, it looked fine. keep us posted..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor