trans question. shifting too soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
ok so my trans seems too be shifting to early which is making it seem like the car is a dog taking off from a light. it shifts from 1st to 2nd really quick and the other two gears seam fine. it does go threw all the gears and down shifts when its supposed to but the take off is bothering me. any ideas. the car is a 88 old w/ a 307 and a od trans. let me know what you think or tell me if im just looking into it to much. thanks guys

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
What are the RPM's it's shifting at? Is this problem on part throttle or full throttle shifts?

sleepycutlasscruzer

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2011
detriot
i can teel the rpms because i dont have a tach but i would guess 1500 rpm under normal acceleration and i havent messed with the tv cable because it looks as if it hasent been touched. but in case im wrong how do you adjust the tv cable? thanks guys

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
I hope adjusting the cable works for you.

My 2004r transmission started doing the exact same thing after I switched the rear end from a 2.56 to a 3.73. It shifts through all the gears, but gets to 4th gear way too soon. Adjusting the cable didn't help it at all.

I haven't figured it out yet, don't know much about auto transmissions and haven't really worked on it all that much. But my guess is that the higher reving caused by the rear end makes the transmission think I'm going faster than I really am - like maybe the shift points were set up for the 2.56, and now needs to be changed to match the 3.73... Maybe some internal valve/pressure adjustments???

Anhow, right now, I just shift manually in traffic, it's more fun anyhow. And like you I don't have a problem once I'm up to highway speed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it's shifting too soon in all gears it's the governor that needs to be changed or modified. You can look for a governor out of a Monte SS, Olds 442 or hurst and the GN or you adjust it yourself by trimming the weight of the smaller spring in the governor. There are two weights in the governor, a primary and a secondary and you have to remove the large primary spring to get to the small one. You trim the weight just a little at a time till it shifts like you want it..

I had the same problem when I went from 2.41 to 3.08 but I fixed with installing a manual...I'm lazy.. :mrgreen:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
azmalibuwagon said:
I hope adjusting the cable works for you.

My 2004r transmission started doing the exact same thing after I switched the rear end from a 2.56 to a 3.73. It shifts through all the gears, but gets to 4th gear way too soon. Adjusting the cable didn't help it at all.

I haven't figured it out yet, don't know much about auto transmissions and haven't really worked on it all that much. But my guess is that the higher reving caused by the rear end makes the transmission think I'm going faster than I really am - like maybe the shift points were set up for the 2.56, and now needs to be changed to match the 3.73... Maybe some internal valve/pressure adjustments???

Anhow, right now, I just shift manually in traffic, it's more fun anyhow. And like you I don't have a problem once I'm up to highway speed.

In your case it just sounds like you're suffering from the typical low shift points of the stock transmission. Your better gearing allows your engine to rev up faster so you hit those low shift points alot quicker. As stated, you need to shave some weight off the governor but depending on where you want your shift points to be ( full and part throttle ), you may have to change the valve body too. It's usually easier to get a valve body/governor combo from a better transmission ( Monte SS,442/HO, GN ) that already has ( or is closest to ) the shift points you desire, then tweak from there.

Some combos of valve bodys and ( non matching ) governors can give you some crazy shift points so you gotta be carefull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor