trans type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
guy doesn't say what kind it is, is this an older type t-5? and does anybody know if a t5wc would bolt to that bellhousing? the bellhousings on e-bay are usually more than that entire setup for a v-8 sbc, and all the local ads are the ford bellhousings...

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/pts/d/s10-5-speed-rat-rod-old-school/6528445240.html
00h0h_2MkpfoBYzFF_600x450.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Its NWC. Will bolt to a V8 bellhousing but input shaft needs to be shortened as does the front bearing retainer. They have low first gears and pretty shallow overdrive. Also, the VSS will need to be addressed.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Worth picking up for that price?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Non-World-Class model for a 2.8 V6 S10 with electric speedo sender. The shifter is all the way forward on the tailhousing. 4:1 granny low and probably a .86 overdrive. Sadly, keep looking.

You would be better off finding the more common Mustang WC V8 T5 and buying an aftermarket bellhousing.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I've got a wc t5, wondering if it would work on that bell housing...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The bellhousing in the ad? It's basically useless unless you plan on putting it behind a small displacement (not small block) Chevy engine or a Northstar.
FWIW, some '93 S10s had a WC T5 that could be identified by the front bearing on the countershaft and a different extension housing. They're fairly sturdy for a cruiser but you still have less than optimal hearing and a VSS.
I flipped a lot of T5s a couple years back. I'd buy them on 1/2-off day at Pick n Pull and pay just over $100 each. I took them home and cleaned them up. I shortened the input shafts and collars on a few. Then took them to the swap meet. The early version with the mechanical speedo went quick in the $400 range. The WC with VSS went quick at $450. The version you posted is easily the most common. I was getting 300-350 for them.
The price on the one you posted isn't bad, it's just not a very desirable unit. There are better options out there.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Driven, I appreciate your input. I'll probably pass on this then, sounds like more work than I care to put into.. just saw that on CL and thought it might be a cheap option.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor