transmission cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
I used a simple T-section. I'll get a few pictures later and post them here.

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
I just order a deep transmission pan 3 qt b&m from summit also does it matter if the cooler it right in front of the rad, should it be say 1 inch a way from the rad to get better air movement, would that help the cooler or does it really matter.

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
FirstClass 383 said:
I just order a deep transmission pan 3 qt b&m from summit also does it matter if the cooler it right in front of the rad, should it be say 1 inch a way from the rad to get better air movement, would that help the cooler or does it really matter.

it definetly helps if the transmission cooler is in front of the engine radiator. but you don't need to keep an inch of distance between them. the easiest way is to fix it with the nylon straps through the engine-radiator and make sure the horizontal fins are alligned as good as possible. however you may want to insert a slice of rubber between the mounting points in order to avoid scraping between the two radiators. I'm not a fan of these nylon fixing straps as shown here: http://www.isa-racing.com/images/isa/600/5707-3.jpg.

I recommend these metal pins: http://www.isa-racing.com/images/isa/600/5707-2.jpg

They can take a lot more of strain and as they are thinner than the nylons with their barbs, less prone to damage your fins while installation. especially if you mount the transmission radiator while the engine radiator is still in the car :)

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
thepcsurgeon said:
I installed one of these for my B&M tek cooler into the out line of the transmission to the cooler connected to an Autometer Elite gauge.

a1087bca659a79db4bf01eb235caf866.jpg

Where did you buy that, is there a special name for it,, i like that idea :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
was just out looking at my set up, going to upgrade to all SS braided line instead of the push lock I have on now( foot brake race car will get the old set up for now) . I have my 6 pass cooler zipped tied to the hood latch / support . puts my cooler about 3'' in front of my a/c condenser. where my 1st fan is behind. have had it in this position for about 3 years now. will add a temp gauge also. I would think that the sensor should be installed on the return side of the line( top on trans for my 4L65E).

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
pic. ps; I will be replacing this with a better unit also.looking at a derale tubler style mounting under air box . has inlet/ outlet 3/8 npt to adapt to An -6.

Attachments

• IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 335

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
axld86 said:
pic. ps; I will be replacing this with a better unit also.looking at a derale tubler style mounting under air box . has inlet/ outlet 3/8 npt to adapt to An -6.

It seems to me that that kind of cooler would cool much better than the b&m one I have, ill post a pic tonite when i get home

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor