transmission is toast :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Caballero350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2007
Seems like one thing after another.This time it's the transmission.Last week I went to a local classic car cruise in and went to back into the parking spot and guess what,the car didn't want to go.It only moved when backwards when I was around 3500 rpm and only moved very slowly.Forward to today.I went to move the car so I could cut the grass and guess what,nothing.F-ing nothing until around 3000 rpm.The fluid is new.I changed that when I installed the 350.Looks like it's time for a overhaul,converter,shift kit and upgraded bands.I never get a break

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Did u check the fluid level, yet. It will give same probs. Maybe developed a leak somewhere.

85Caballero350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2007
85t5mcss said:
Did u check the fluid level, yet. It will give same probs. Maybe developed a leak somewhere.
yea,fluid level is good.Im goin to check it over better tomorrow.Check cables and what not

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Please don't think I'm being an a$$, but u did check it while it was running? I'm sure u did, but what color was the fluid? What did it smell like. It may not be toast, may be something simple to fix like a valve body gasket.

85Caballero350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2007
85t5mcss said:
Please don't think I'm being an a$$, but u did check it while it was running? I'm sure u did, but what color was the fluid? What did it smell like. It may not be toast, may be something simple to fix like a valve body gasket.
Yea,I checked it while it was running and after it had idled for a little bit.Like stated before,the fluid is new.I replaced the fluid when I installed the new motor because I forgot to jack the transmission up and most of the fluid had come out.I don't think you are trying to be a a$$,you are just trying to help me out.This is just another excuse to have the trans done right,now that there is actually a problem ;)

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
May be a good point, but if I were u, I would have liked to have driven until Winter and then tear it down. At least dropping the trans is pretty simple, though. Put a block of wood behind the cylinder head after the trans x-member is out. It'll help protect the distributor from hitting the firewall and bending the shaft.

I'm glad u don't think I wasn't being an a$$. Sometimes without the feeling or emotion in one's voice, what is said (typed) can too easily be misinterpreted. Let us know what u find out. Maybe u broke the ears on the pump and fluid can't build pressure. Nothing would work that way either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor