transmission problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
ok i have an 81 regal with a chevy 350 in it. the transmission is broken and i want to change it myself, as i have more free time than cash! the problem is 1, i cant get the regal high enough off the ground to get it out. 2, im having trouble getting to the top two bolts on the bellhousing. i REALLY need to do this myself but ive got little to no help doing this project. does anyone have any tips i can use to help me? im NOT a mechanic and dont have alot of tools, just hand tools and a floor jack! i took the trans out of my truck but the regal is a prollem! HELP!!!

not sure if you have the transmission crossmember down or not yet but letting the tailshaft drop will add a lot of space to get to the top trans bolts along with a good swivel. also on occasion you may be able to get some top of the bellhousing bolts from the engine bay using a wrench.

redsx2434 said:
not sure if you have the transmission crossmember down or not yet but letting the tailshaft drop will add a lot of space to get to the top trans bolts along with a good swivel. also on occasion you may be able to get some top of the bellhousing bolts from the engine bay using a wrench.

I usually will unbolt the crossmember mount first, then jack up the tail of the trans which gives you plenty of room to use a rachet on the top two bolts from under the hood.

Just keep an eye on the distributor cap if you try leaning the motor/transmission back. Make sure it doesn't hit the firewall.

I can get to the top ones on mine with a wrench just fine without leaning it back tho.

yeah i got the crossmember down. and ill try jackin it up from the tail. but i cant find any jack stands tall enough to bring it down. any suggestions on where i can get some, or what i can use in place of them. by the way thanks for the fast replies!

Local parts stores should have the larger 6 ton jack stands. Or if you have a Harbor Freight nearby you.

I always use a slightly bent wrench for the top bolts.They can be hard to get out at times.
Hey maybe your not holding your mouth right.My Dad always told me that,seemed to work though :rofl:

once you have the crossmember out, I use a ratchet and whole bunch of extentions and a universal to get them under the car...It's like colt 45 "works every time"

Blocks of wood are very helpful. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor