Transmission Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

leefybeaver

Apprentice
Jul 23, 2012
Canada
Hello experts and people smarter than myself...So for the longest time i assumed my car (1984 Buick Regal, V8) had a TH200 transmission, which i beleive came from the factory on some of these cars. Well today i was going to replace the pan gasket on the trans pan to stop some leaking and behold the gasket set doesnt fit. This leads me to the interwebs to figure out what transmission is in the car. I know I could have and should have done this before...So a 13 bolt pan tells me i have a TH350, which i see as good news. At least i have something worth having a rebuilt...which needs to be done based on the amount of metal i found in the pan today! For now i think my questions are simple and some i think i have already answered based on that previous reading on the interwebs.

The kickdown cable is a detent style cable (see photo) which made me assume the trans was of the TH200 variety. I'm used to seeing the other style kickdown cable. Is this kickdown assembly correct for a TH350 of that era?

The trans is also of the electronic lockup variety. Some of my reading tells me that i can remedy this by getting a non-lockup converter and not using the lockup cable...true false?

Here are some pics of what I have. Any info to add and things i should know are always greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    764.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 404
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    626.1 KB · Views: 408
...And let the dissapointment settle in...TH250 it is. Oh well, I guess i'm back on the hunt for a TH350! I'm assuming the TH250 isnt worth a rebuild?

The Th350 is better then the 250.

Think of the TH250 as the lightweight twin of the Th350. The Th250 can't take as much torque as a 350.

Plus, get the right shop to rebuild a Th350, you could have some components beefed up and a shift kit added for only a buck or two more. I like my shift kit 🙂

Well back on the hunt for a TH350 then...I know they were used in a tonne of a different applications and vehicles over the years. Is one better than the other (truck vs car model) anything like that. I know tail shaft lengths can be different but just need to know if they can all be used for what I need or if I should look for anything specific. I'm going to have a trans shop go through it with the updated shift kit and new clutch pack and bring it all up to new...so maybe I'm just better off buying a new one. I don't want to say money is no object, but I don't mind spending money on good investments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor