transmission shifter cable problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2009
I an having issues with the floor shift in my 84 cutlass....I swapped out the old 307w/200 metric and replaced it with a olds 350 engine w/Th 330 trans....The original cable broke twice and I went to a B&M cable setup(I don't like the fact that I now can start the car up in drive, reverse, etc...and I don't have reverse lights) after a couple of yrs, the B&M cable broke...I would like to go back to the original setup (for safety reasons) or something better than what I currently have now..HELP!!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wiring for the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights are in the shifter, and shouldn't have anything to do to the shifter cable. In terms of using the B&M cable, the only differences should be that on your shift indicator that you'll be in drive when the indicator says overdrive, 2nd when the indicator is in drive, and low when the shift indicator says 2nd. I believe that the lever, on the transmission, will have to be modified to get correct geometry for the TH350 so that your shifter hits the detents and feels like it is ;locking in' when shifted.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
what did you do with the mechanical linkage attaching the trans to the column when you installed ( I am assuming ) the floor shifter ? I only assume this as these cars use a mechanical shifter. Cable is only used when a floor shifter is installed ( console car ) and it works with the mechanical linkage, not in place of it.
On these cars the column shift is retained ( moves ) when selecting gears even with a console shifter. The column contains the reverse \ neutral switch. Reverse lights, gear indicator, ect...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor