Transmission swap (auto to manual)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2013
Hello all,

New to the board and have some questions for those of you who have done this before. I am looking to convert over to a manual as cheap as possible. I have access to several different manual transmissions that will give me a 1:1 final drive. My question is what is the lowest set of rear end gears I can get to accomodate the transmission and get as close to a 229 final drive as possible. I know there are 2:42s but I do not know if they make anything lower for our rear-ends. I have the option of getting a saginaw or a 4 speed muncie. Currently, I am putting in a 355 CI, with dart-iron eagle 72 cc heads and eagle rotating assemble align honed and balanced with a 6 3/4 harmonic balancer and 600 cfm edelbrock 1406 with weiland dual plane intake. Eventually, I will spend the money and get the TKO-tremmic setup it is just not in the budget now. I should have around 400lbs of torque according to engine builder which will be enough to pull the higher gear ratios. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor