trunk help

Status
Not open for further replies.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys, my trunk floor is rusting because i have a hole in my rear drivers side wheel well. and i want to cut all this rust out before it spreads to the bottoms of my quarter panels. so i need to know if anyone knows a place that sells replacement trunk flooring. i know theres a site that makes floor pans, but i couldnt find trunk. :? OR if anyone knows how hard it would be to take a trunk floor out of a donor car, that would be good to know as well. i would be using a air compressor with a cutout wheel probably to do that. wish i had acess to a plasma cutter :twisted: thanks guys for any help

MrCamaro69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2006
First off, get a screw driver and see just how bad the rust is, if you can't poke a screwdriver thru it, (don't get crazymad with the screwdriver, just poke and scrape it) there may be enough metal left to sand off the rust, (slap on some POR15, optional) and prime and paint it.
If rust is too serious, when you start cutting out metal don't forget where the gas tank is! You're gonna be right over it. Cutoff wheel makes plenty of sparks.
If you use anything that creates heat it's gonna warp the metal, (and make the gas tank a big ol bomb) more heat more warp. It's a pretty big job if done right. PULL THE GAS TANK!
Look closely and you'll see spot welds around the outer edge of the trunk, all it is is a panel spot welded and sealed at the factory.
IF you can find a replacement trunk sheetmetal, it'll be more obvious where spot welds are and what you need to do to replace it. Since your rust is also in fender well, you probably have a pretty big job ahead of you.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
How are the frame and the body mounts at the rear of the car? Generally,
if there is rot in the trunk, then there is usually some rust present in those areas as well. MrCamaro69 is right-check it over carefully first, and remember that the gas tank is right below the trunk. As you have found out, there are repro floor pans available, but I haven't found or heard of a repro trunk pan being available just yet, although someone will probably come up with something in the near future. If the trunk needs repair, you can either try using some sheet metal, or if you want an original appearance, then you can see about obtaining a rust-free southern part. There is a company called Showcars & Bodyparts in Bolton Ontario, and there is also a company called The Chop Shop in Concord Ontario, that deal in rust-free southern parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor