trunk light question

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I have a 1979 Pontiac LeMans (Sister Malibu car). My question is, was it an option to have ordered them without Trunk lights? My whole harness for that is missing, but i feel like it would've had it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The trunk light was paet of RPO TR9 auxiliary lighting. It would of also include the under hood light, lights on buzzer, lower level models would get the front foot well lights. Depending on year it would of also have the dome light delay. All cars with it will have a junction block on the driver side upper inside of the dash which the circuits 40 (orange Feed, Battery-Fused) & 156 (white Ground Circuit-Switch Controlled Body Interior Lamps) plug in with Pack Con connectors. The trunk light wire runs from the driver side between the block & light. Tapping into the CTSY CLK auxiliary can be an easy spot to plug & play for adding.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
The trunk light was paet of RPO TR9 auxiliary lighting. It would of also include the under hood light, lights on buzzer, lower level models would get the front foot well lights. Depending on year it would of also have the dome light delay. All cars with it will have a junction block on the driver side upper inside of the dash which the circuits 40 (orange Feed, Battery-Fused) & 156 (white Ground Circuit-Switch Controlled Body Interior Lamps) plug in with Pack Con connectors. The trunk light wire runs from the driver side between the block & light. Tapping into the CTSY CLK auxiliary can be an easy spot to plug & play for adding.
Woah! Very nice of you to write out all of that. I looked at my Build sheet from PHS, and it looks like my car indeed came with TR9. Oof. Knowing the previous owners who were "Restoring" this car they damn near gutted the all original wire harness out of the car, I can get the trunk light harness on eBay, no idea about Under hood light, what years will interchange harness wise?
what else would i need besides that? i still have the junction block inside with the buzzer that i know of, and each side courtesy lights.

Is it year specific?

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The under hood lead is actually part of the front light harness. There would be a single wire Packard 56 connector joining the hood light to the light harness. About any GM of the era could be a donor beside any G. That should cover it. By chance someone here might have what you need in their spare stash. I redo my stuff & use what I feel would of been a better connector that would pass as a possible correct set.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
The under hood lead is actually part of the front light harness. There would be a single wire Packard 56 connector joining the hood light to the light harness. About any GM of the era could be a donor beside any G. That should cover it. By chance someone here might have what you need in their spare stash. I redo my stuff & use what I feel would of been a better connector that would pass as a possible correct set.
Thank you!! I'm so grateful there are guys like you left on the form that have this information. I was able to identify and confirm my car did have a trunk light, as for the under-hood light, was it possible for someone to order the "tr9 lamp group" with all of the options minus a hood light? or did it just come with everything and that's it.

Didn't know it was part of the light harness. Very good to know!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Thank you!! I'm so grateful there are guys like you left on the form that have this information. I was able to identify and confirm my car did have a trunk light, as for the under hood light I'm not sure. I took off the delete plate, (assuming?). Was it possible for a someone to order the tr9 lamp group with all of the options minus a hood light? or did it just come with everything and that's it.

Didn't know it was part of the light harness. Very good to know!!!
Not sure of what that delete plate would be but the back driver side edge of the hood should have the pair of mount holes showing signs of the light fixture have been there (would be on the side of the oil dipstick.) All TR9 cars will have all the lights.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Not sure of what that delete plate would be but the back driver side edge of the hood should have the pair of mount holes showing signs of the light fixture have been there (would be on the side of the oil dipstick.) All TR9 cars will have all the lights.
Gotcha. My phone has almost no space left but I've been trying to send a picture.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Update: I bought an Underhood & Trunk light harness from a friend on Facebook. Greg Henckel. Great guy to deal with and shipped out fast! That guy has a Hoard of sh*t let me tell ya!
Now i need to figure out how it is Ran... Inside the trunk & down the side of the Hinge is what i can only think of. Yesterday i pulled out my Seats & Carpet to find that the Seat belt buzzer? The connector is unplugged mid-way to the Front Seat So. Wondering where that goes. Surely not under the Frt seat itself? I thought they went too the Retractor part in the back.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hmm. Not familiar with LeMans stuff, but I was under the impression that the underhood light harness was included in the forward lamp harness already regardless if equipped with underhood lamp or not. I could be wrong, but many cars without TR9 in the Cutlass realm I've ran across had the plug taped up in the forward harness. Just run the lamp and its wire and find the plugs and boom, instant underhood light. Too bad yours doesn't already have that.

As far as running the trunk lamp, yes, right down the inside of trunk lid and then along the hinge. On the Cutlass there are plastic wire clips that insert into punched holes on the hinge to hold the wiring in place. Then you can run it any way you want in the cabin, but normally it would be in the wire bundle under the left edge of the carpet up to the fuse block.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Hmm. Not familiar with LeMans stuff, but I was under the impression that the underhood light harness was included in the forward lamp harness already regardless if equipped with underhood lamp or not. I could be wrong, but many cars without TR9 in the Cutlass realm I've ran across had the plug taped up in the forward harness. Just run the lamp and its wire and find the plugs and boom, instant underhood light. Too bad yours doesn't already have that.

As far as running the trunk lamp, yes, right down the inside of trunk lid and then along the hinge. On the Cutlass there are plastic wire clips that insert into punched holes on the hinge to hold the wiring in place. Then you can run it any way you want in the cabin, but normally it would be in the wire bundle under the left edge of the carpet up to the fuse block.
Not all cars with out underhood lights came prewired for the under it. With Olds maybe finding it easier/efficient to just include it so it wasn't a hassle on the line to have the needed harness with the front clips.

The trunk light harness should be ran in the rocker channel along the front to rear harness.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor