GRAND PRIX Trunk shock replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
My 81 GP has the "Colmar Gas Spring Co" trunk shocks, both dead, replacements not available. I ordered the Stabilus SG430005 struts mentioned in this discussion, but as discussed there, they're too short to use as a replacement. I don't see any posts where somebody's replaced the shocks with struts.. is it possible, has it been done?

BTW I've seen the strut mod pictured below; I'd prefer to do something that replaces the shocks & looks a little more original, but if nothing works I might do this.

1657399026213.png

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
Are these what you are looking for?

These worked fine when removed from an 81 Monte Carlo.

Let me know if you need them

PXL_20210923_011228443.jpg
PXL_20210923_011236790.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
My 81 GP has the "Colmar Gas Spring Co" trunk shocks, both dead, replacements not available. I ordered the Stabilus SG430005 struts mentioned in this discussion, but as discussed there, they're too short to use as a replacement. I don't see any posts where somebody's replaced the shocks with struts.. is it possible, has it been done?

BTW I've seen the strut mod pictured below; I'd prefer to do something that replaces the shocks & looks a little more original, but if nothing works I might do this.

View attachment 202255
I don't have them on my 82 Grand Prix and I never had trouble with the trunk staying up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor