Trunk torsion bar to shock swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rktpwrd you don’t happen to know the length of strut that you used or a p/n? I’m going to need some more clearance for speakers and thinking that this is the way I would like to go. Thanks in advance for any info.

The extended length is just a hair over 18” at 18.15, and the compressed length is 11.80”. I know this to be exact because those are the dimensions directly from the supplier I got them from on Amazon.

I’m hesitant to give you the part number I used though, because mine are in the 100lb range to support the weight of my trunk lid and the fibreglass spoiler that’s on it. As it is, 100lb is a little stronger than what I really need, but I couldn’t find anything available in the 85lb(ish) range. You’re going to have to rough guesstimate the weight of your trunk to know what weight shock to order.

The manufacturer I used was A-Premium. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
1995F51B-BD02-4DFA-B962-E67E0A32220A.jpeg
You mean a set of these? Came out of an 1980 Monte
D76DC161-3B53-4AE0-A9D0-0AD308C76247.jpeg
5BFA1014-E86B-4BFA-9397-EC0AD79D87E4.jpeg

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Here ya go.
I did it to gain clearance to my air management system, but have also had issues with sub box clearances etc in the past so I understand the interest in converting.

View attachment 190190

View attachment 190186

I riveted a small bracket with the ball stud already attached to the trunk weatherstrip channel, used rivets so the weatherstrip would go back on nicely without having to notch it around bolts or what have you. Note the bracing I referred to earlier. Without it there’s a very good chance that you’ll bend the weatherstrip flange with repeated use.

The location was determined by a little trial and error experimenting with compressed and extended lengths.

View attachment 190188

View attachment 190189

The plug adjacent to the ball stud on the lid side is so that you can access the backside and bolt the ball stud in place without having to weld it on.

View attachment 190187

The shocks are 60 lb and work great for holding it up without any issues. If you have a spoiler mounted to the trunk lid however, you’re going to have to up the lb rating a bit to compensate for the additional weight.

Not saying this is the way it has to be done, but it’s what worked for me.
Nicely done

Reactions: 1 user

464ChillerTech

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2022
The extended length is just a hair over 18” at 18.15, and the compressed length is 11.80”. I know this to be exact because those are the dimensions directly from the supplier I got them from on Amazon.

I’m hesitant to give you the part number I used though, because mine are in the 100lb range to support the weight of my trunk lid and the fibreglass spoiler that’s on it. As it is, 100lb is a little stronger than what I really need, but I couldn’t find anything available in the 85lb(ish) range. You’re going to have to rough guesstimate the weight of your trunk to know what weight shock to order.

The manufacturer I used was A-Premium. Hope this helps.
Rktpwrd That helps out a lot! Saves me a lot of time and guesswork. I don’t have plans to run a spoiler but I was thinking a shock on both sides would be a good idea so 100 lb shocks would sure be too much. Thank you very much

Reactions: 1 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Rktpwrd That helps out a lot! Saves me a lot of time and guesswork. I don’t have plans to run a spoiler but I was thinking a shock on both sides would be a good idea so 100 lb shocks would sure be too much. Thank you very much
Here ya go - Part #'s, compressed and extended lengths, and strength. This is the strong arm line we carry at my work.
hood struts.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor