Trying to eliminate a little bit of play in steering, the adjustment on the steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
When I initially adjusted mine, I was aware that tightening it too much could in fact cause it to bind. I was mindful of that. The little bit that I adjusted, or tweaked did seem to help.

Spidereyes, thank you for posting the detailed pages regarding the adjustments. We can never be overly informed about any topic. That was very thoughtful of you.

Amen brother .that small turn of the screw has always rewarded me with just enough to take the play out to where it's tolerable.....

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I'm updating my threads and I have found as stated you loosen the NUT and then adjust the screw on the steering
box with an allen wrench. I've made some adjustments and have had minimal success. I made my last adjustment today
and my next test drive will determine if it's time for a steering box rebuild or replacement. Just a bit too much play yet.
Hopefully today's LAST adjustment will be it.

If not I won't over adjust and end up with the dreaded over center issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm updating my threads and I have found as stated you loosen the NUT and then adjust the screw on the steering
box with an allen wrench. I've made some adjustments and have had minimal success. I made my last adjustment today
and my next test drive will determine if it's time for a steering box rebuild or replacement. Just a bit too much play yet.
Hopefully today's LAST adjustment will be it.

If not I won't over adjust and end up with the dreaded over center issue.
I hope you also checked out all your steering components, from tie rod ends, idler arm, center link, etc. Somehow, I think you covered all those bases.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Hmpf......missed that one.................good suggestion.................sometimes it's the obvious that is so hard to see.........

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I hope you also checked out all your steering components, from tie rod ends, idler arm, center link, etc. Somehow, I think you covered all those bases.

I did a complete check of all the linkage when I greased the entire assembly. This is me now...........:unsure::whistle::unsure:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
This is another follow up posting to describe what has made my steering issues ALL go away.

I'd like to thank Ostrich for assembling, packaging and shipping me a new Astro Steering Shaft. The unit was delivered in a foam packed box and nicely painted black ready for install.

I have installed the unit and now I feel like I'm back in touch with the front tires and car. Just a normal bit of play which I want in the steering wheel now.

Couldn't be happier. One of the better upgrades I have made to my 79 H/O. I feel the car is much much safer now. Almost a direct connection from steering wheel to steering gear box. Very very nice.

Here's some pics of the before...and the after.
oldsteering1.jpg
oldsteering2.jpg
newsteering.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor