Trying to find interior paint and trim color codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
malibu004.jpg

The color code for your interior is on the metal plate thats screwed to the cowl on the drivers side. If theres a number 67 on it and its more brown than tan I would guess that the interior is Dark Briar Brown.
That being said, I would get the Color Coat mixed by a decent autobody supply. Ive done quite a bit of interior stuff over the past few years. Its very easy. Preparation is THE most important thing.

I just did all of the pieces for my wagon in the spring. My interior is Grey Fern. Very tough color. In some light it looks grey, in less light it looks green. The best way to get the color right is to take a piece with the actual color and have the shop match it. Most of the time they can get it almost perfect. The armrest in my 81 coupe is the original color, never sprayed. The door panel was done by me. Its almost 100%.

I was a little nervous the first time I used SEM paint. I had no idea how it was going to turn out. The door panel in the picture is one of the pieces that I did the first time out. Its very forgiving. There no mixing and it dries very quickly too.
You just have to clean the crap out of the pieces youre spraying and use something like Bulldog so it bites into the plastic. It also works well on metal parts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is where you will find the color code for your interior. Like I said, if its a really dark brown look for the number in my other post. I think this one was the number after the A. The next two numbers are the body color.
If you have any questions about the SEM paint feel free to shoot me a PM.
13680830_1129567877105105_1723958283716569695_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
tag1.jpg trim1.jpg Looks really good mikester. With any luck mine will come close the that. This is the tag from the cowl and a piece of the trim that was not blasted yet that I'm trying to match. I like the idea of the SEM paint. I have the bulldog on the shelf. Just have to find a supplier for the paint and clean. The briar brown maybe the answer. Thanks for the info.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
11248244_10207074960739546_5454548156983362852_n.jpg
11254104_10207062636671452_8938307923636371861_n.jpg
View attachment 56273 View attachment 56274 Looks really good mikester. With any luck mine will come close the that. This is the tag from the cowl and a piece of the trim that was not blasted yet that I'm trying to match. I like the idea of the SEM paint. I have the bulldog on the shelf. Just have to find a supplier for the paint and clean. The briar brown maybe the answer. Thanks for the info.[/QUO

No problem. FYI, in 82 the code 67 was called Dark Sable. It changed names in 83 but it was the same color.
My only advice would be dont take any shortcuts if you just want to do this once. I wash everything with hot water and Dawn to get the majority of the oils and crap off and then I use SEM Soap with a stiff brush and grey scotchbrite pads. You'll be able to tell by the way the water rolls off if its real clean. Then I used their Plastic Prep on a new microfiber rag. Then two light coats of Bulldog, then the color.
Im no expert but so far everything Ive done has held up really well. I did over 20 pieces of a friends Camaro. He was very happy with the outcome and Im probably going to spray a bunch of Mopar stuff for another close friend after I get the motor back in my wagon.

This is the inside of the Camaro. I sprayed all the plastic panels, headliner trim, and seat trim except the dash and console. I did do the console lid though.
11248244_10207074960739546_5454548156983362852_n.jpg
11254104_10207062636671452_8938307923636371861_n.jpg

Last edited:

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
Lots of good info. Once the name changed in 83 was it just called dk brown? I'm thinking the best way to do this is to take a piece of trim to the paint store and match it as close as I can. All you folks are a great help. Thanks a bunch.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
No,it was called Dark Briar Brown in 83-84. I dont know what your interior looks like but Im assuming its all the same color. If it is youre lucky. In a lot of cars the dash is a darker color. My 81 interior is mostly Medium Jadestone. The dash is Dark Jadestone. Same with my wagon. The dash is much darker than the door panels and seats.

If you look at the pictures of the Camaro interior that I did you can see theres a different color on the dash and console. Not that its a big deal, its just more material to buy.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
And yes, your right about taking a piece in for them to use to match it. Take a piece of plastic and let them use the back which should still be pretty close to the right color. Thats what Ive done with everything so far. If the guy thats doing the mix is good he can get it almost perfect. If its a tiny bit off and youre doing the whole interior it wont matter.
I was lucky every time. I dont like doing the armrests since they have a lot of flex. I also never sprayed any vinyl. The guy that made it for my wagon got it so close I wound up not even spraying the 4 door panels.

vwed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2009
Guess I'm livin a dream. All of my interior is the same color. Even the dash. I was able to find a near perfect match for that Malibu. Since I'm only painting the metal trim parts that hold the headliner in I only needed a spray can. My paint guy tried to match it but couldn't and the smallest amount they would sell was a pint, for $80. Job is done, $10. spray can. Getting headliner material tomorrow. I'm going to try to get that done in the next few days. Thank folks.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Guess I'm livin a dream. All of my interior is the same color. Even the dash. I was able to find a near perfect match for that Malibu. Since I'm only painting the metal trim parts that hold the headliner in I only needed a spray can. My paint guy tried to match it but couldn't and the smallest amount they would sell was a pint, for $80. Job is done, $10. spray can. Getting headliner material tomorrow. I'm going to try to get that done in the next few days. Thank folks.

Glad to hear you had it easy !! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor