Trying to make a tire decision HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney667

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2012
Delaware, Ohio
I just picked up some 15x8 3.5 backspacing weld prostars. What tire would fit the best? MT ET Street Radial 275/50 or 275/60. Going on an 84 cutlass that has a 4 link, qa1's, and other goodies from dick miller racing. Rear is SOLID does not move much at all.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Is the 60 narrower than the 50? Usually is. Remember that section width (inflated) is wider than tread width. I run the 255 50 Mickey Ts on an 8 inch rim - tire a little too wide for the rim. I think the 275 would be really wide. You might need a spacer to pull the sidewall away from the frame. The backspace is good though, which puts the tire farther out.

I'd mount an empty rim on there and grab a tape measure.

stoney667

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2012
Delaware, Ohio
The 275/60
Tire Tread Width: 9.5''
Tire Section Width: 11.0''

The 275/50
Tire Tread Width: 10.5''
Tire Section Width: 11.3''

So yea I guess it is slightly skinnier. I don't really see anyone running the 3.5 backspace with the 275's. I see most ppl running a 4 or 4.5.

They don't make the Welds in 4 though. Its 3.5 or 4.5. I think the 4.5 and then putting a spacer might of been the better choice now that i'm thinking about it. If its 3.5 I can't space it out anymore. After searching this for ever I still don't get the result I want.

Anyone running this combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor