Tubular Core Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's an allusion to the cost of buying tools to perform the job. The welder, tube bender, etc. are not free.

Yes, I understand how ludicrous it would be to go out and buy all these things to build a single item. That's why it's a joke.

It's not though. I was just talking to my Junior Officers about this today. They keep saying they want to do stuff with cars but don't "know how". I said "you do by learning" - the same way they got qualified as Infantry Officers; and there are a lot more people who work on cars than have ever held their qualifications. Cars are easy by comparison. I told them to expect to f*ck up a lot, to plan for it, and prepare themselves for the overwhelming sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when they do get it right. They know the door is open if they ever want to come over to my garage.

It is an investment in self.

I've looked through your build thread and you definitely stick to that. I love the car.

Thanks, just farting around.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
It's not though. I was just talking to my Junior Officers about this today. They keep saying they want to do stuff with cars but don't "know how". I said "you do by learning" - the same way they got qualified as Infantry Officers; and there are a lot more people who work on cars than have ever held their qualifications. Cars are easy by comparison. I told them to expect to f*ck up a lot, to plan for it, and prepare themselves for the overwhelming sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when they do get it right. They know the door is open if they ever want to come over to my garage.

It is an investment in self.

Thanks, just farting around.
I 100% agree that, to get anywhere a lot of mistakes must be made. When I was in the military I opened up my garage to my Airman as well. They would weld old car parts together to make lamps to learn to weld. but that's not really what this thread is about. It's about a replacement part for a car. This is for the guy who might be an engine builder, shade tree mechanic, or a driver. Someone who isn't necessarily a fabricator and may not want to be. I don't want it to come across like I'm saying "don't build it, buy it." I'm saying there is this thing that just needs to be installed that performs a function. Mike, I appreciate your insights and I don't think a car that serious comes from a guy just farting around.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I 100% agree that, to get anywhere a lot of mistakes must be made. When I was in the military I opened up my garage to my Airman as well. They would weld old car parts together to make lamps to learn to weld. but that's not really what this thread is about. It's about a replacement part for a car. This is for the guy who might be an engine builder, shade tree mechanic, or a driver. Someone who isn't necessarily a fabricator and may not want to be. I don't want it to come across like I'm saying "don't build it, buy it." I'm saying there is this thing that just needs to be installed that performs a function. Mike, I appreciate your insights and I don't think a car that serious comes from a guy just farting around.

Thing is we all buy stuff - and when it doesn't quite work for your application you need a real skill set and tools to overcome the buyer's remorse. Your work on this core support is a perfect example of this.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor