Tubular Core Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
it would be nice to know it's weight in comparison an aluminum core support
Do you know how much the aluminum core support weighs? I'm sure someone on here has that info.

What did you do wrong with the support durring the install? Do you know what the support weights by itself?
I think Alex from Trick Chassis would be the better one to answer that. I don't know if he is on here so I'll email him to ask.

I'm confused, is it shill or shrill?
Apparently the iPhone autocorrect doesn't know the word shill either. That was a proofreading fail on my part.

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Alright, I found this on short notice. this guy says the steel core support weighs 26 lbs, and the aluminum core support weighs 12 lbs.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads...-Support-G-Body-Monte-Carlo-Cutlass-Regal-ect

Another person in this thread corroborates the weight difference is only 14 lbs.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/grand-am.70633/page-2#post-655043

I'll post the weight of the tubular one when I get a response in the morning.

EDIT:

Drum roll please . . . . . . . . . The tubular core support from Trick Chassis, including hardware kit is, 8lbs 20oz. I think Alex did himself a disservice by including the bolt kit in the weight. If you swapped the bolts in the car one-for-one to avoid factoring them in, I think the weight is closer to 5 or 6 lbs with brackets. 18lb weight advantage, opening up the engine bay, and infinite adaptability for $250.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I'd love to go with a tubular radiator support but having a Monte SS with the airbox upfront complicates it a tad. I wouldn't think the main pro of making the swap would be the weight. 14 lbs is 14 lbs but I think the main gain is to create more room for other things and to simplify it a little bit.

I'd love to see one in an SS with the air box properly installed and working the way it was intended.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'd love to go with a tubular radiator support but having a Monte SS with the airbox upfront complicates it a tad. I wouldn't think the main pro of making the swap would be the weight. 14 lbs is 14 lbs but I think the main gain is to create more room for other things and to simplify it a little bit.

I'd love to see one in an SS with the air box properly installed and working the way it was intended.

The factory airbox is quite heavy, they make a fiberglass repop that would be a good alternative.

Reactions: 1 user

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
The factory airbox is quite heavy, they make a fiberglass repop that would be a good alternative.
Hmmmm I have never heard of those. That would be awesome. This simple battery relocation project might turn into a weight shedding project after all....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
One other advantage I think there is with the tubular core support is the stock rad support bolts to the inner fender and that precludes you from using an inner fender from another G body. I'm thinking with the tubular support I would be able to use the perfect condition inner cutlass fenders I have in my GP.

Reactions: 1 users
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I edited the post above to reflect the tube core support's weight.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the complete fiberglass air box, I installed a SS nose conversion kit on my Monte that came with everything included it was made by Lauren Eng. but I bought it cheaper through another vendor

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor