turbo 350 stator rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
been a very long time since i did a turbo 350 and always went by the book. Sessions book said to use metal rings but i hear teflon is the bomb nowadays. teflon looks to be a little thinner than the metal ones. is that normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 244

BoostedJROD

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2019
Hmm....never did a th350....Teflon is nice (less wear on the surface they ride on) ... Never been a fan of the one with a slice in them...always worried they'd end up leaking. Seems like it should be the same thickness. Are you sure it's the right sealing ring for the location? Also I know that for the th400/4L80 they make teflon "coated" steel sealing rings.. Not sure if that's an option for the th350 or not..

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess nowadays it's a matter of preference. I thought of using Teflon rings on my center support, but went with iron instead. Do they make solid Teflon rings that aren't scarf cut? I know it would take more effort to install.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
If you have a way to get them on and sized I don't think there is a down side to the solid teflon rings. Scarf cut I shy away from. I used a funel to stretch em out and some pieces I cut out of a plastic two liter drink bottle and hose clamp to size em

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm old school and use iron (Sessions) I did look at my 400 parts and the teflon rings are a little thinner ?? Haven't heard any bad about them.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Hmm....never did a th350....Teflon is nice (less wear on the surface they ride on) ... Never been a fan of the one with a slice in them...always worried they'd end up leaking. Seems like it should be the same thickness. Are you sure it's the right sealing ring for the location? Also I know that for the th400/4L80 they make teflon "coated" steel sealing rings.. Not sure if that's an option for the th350 or not..
thanks for the reply.thats called a scarf cut. saw on the hot rodders.com where a member had the same question and the response was to use them. all of mine came from the turbo 350 pumps. i kinda throw all the used washers,shims and rings into a drawer below the work bench to be discarded later. have a fist full of teflon rings. later never came. did not find a coated steel ring for the 350 but still looking

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
thanks for
I guess nowadays it's a matter of preference. I thought of using Teflon rings on my center support, but went with iron instead. Do they make solid Teflon rings that aren't scarf cut? I know it would take more effort to install.
thanks for the reply. i used solid teflon on a 2004r i just finished but they were much smaller and the directions showed how to fit them(turbine shaft). if they make solid for the center support and they are the same thickness i would use them. still checking the web for them. i don't feel good about using the thinner teflon. the steel fit real good.

Reactions: 1 user

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
If you have a way to get them on and sized I don't think there is a down side to the solid teflon rings. Scarf cut I shy away from. I used a funel to stretch em out and some pieces I cut out of a plastic two liter drink bottle and hose clamp to size em
thanks for the reply. can't find solid yet for the 350. the 2004r used solid at some spots and scarf at other spots. ck book had good directions on how to size them. will look today but want to finish this build next week.

Reactions: 1 user

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
I'm old school and use iron (Sessions) I did look at my 400 parts and the teflon rings are a little thinner ?? Haven't heard any bad about them.
i'm with you on the iron. i'm sure someone on this site has used the thinner teflon and would like to hear how they worked

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
thanks for

thanks for the reply. i used solid teflon on a 2004r i just finished but they were much smaller and the directions showed how to fit them(turbine shaft). if they make solid for the center support and they are the same thickness i would use them. still checking the web for them. i don't feel good about using the thinner teflon. the steel fit real good.
I'm also going to use solid Teflon seals on the turbine shaft on my 200-4R. I don't blame you about being apprehensive using thinner Teflon seals on your center support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor