Turbo kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Sounds like you come across a good deal bud. If I had that opportunity myself just to get it going and be getting more experience with turbo stuff like that i would do it in a heartbeat. Keep updating us buddy!

eldervampire

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2011
Check out turbobuick.com and look in the B4Black section. The first turbo buicks used a blowthrough system. Same with the 2nd gen turbo T/A with a Poncho 301.
301garage.com
Lots of good info on those 2 sites, good luck and happy boosting.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Check out turbobuick.com and look in the B4Black section. The first turbo buicks used a blowthrough system. Same with the 2nd gen turbo T/A with a Poncho 301.
301garage.com
Lots of good info on those 2 sites, good luck and happy boosting.
OK thanks I'll look into it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
I remember reading this write up Car Craft did a while back trying to get an Ebay twin turbo set up to work, they ending up spending $1,800 and still were not done, so my guess would be near $2500 for Today's prices after adding an intercooler and any other needed upgrades to make it run well on the street with pump gas and later plan on upgrading the turbos.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-1009-cheap-turbos-from-ebay-on-a-350-small-block-engine/[/QU
I read that ad a long while back im getting the turbo setup for $400 brand new from a friend who got it from another friend lol i priced out the other parts i need and ill be at like $1200 this setup is temporary for my car im going LS twin turbo with name brand stuff the ebay stuff is for me to mess around that motor will eventually will go into a daily project i plan to have in a year or so the malibu LS project will be my weekend/race car.

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
Ive had lots of experience with turbochargers over the years and I don't mean to be rude but if your making this post your not ready to purchase parts to do this. Don't take that as don't do it or you shouldn't do it but do your research, make a plan then buy your parts.

Ive been selling off my stock of old turbo's this last week on the local classifieds and laughing at all these guys telling me about their terrible budget approaches to boost their ride. A few people with newer vehicles on warranties I didn't feel right even selling them these parts and had to urged them to rethink their plans and not do this.

Before going turboo think about the options available

Complte bolt on kits
(expensive but work well)
Complete bolt on turbo kits from a REPUTABLE supplier with fuel pump, blowthrough carb or fuel injection designed for this kit, are the only way to do this if your looking for a ready to go bolt on kit with an engine not specifically built for turbo's and for that 6g is a bargain. Even then there is major risk to your engine especially long term.

Bolt on kits without fuel management
(cheapish till it snowballs out of control)
Any kit that is nothing more than a way to physically attach a turbo to the vehicle including intercooler, turbos, plumbing etc is nothing more than that. You will need to assess your own fuel management needs be that carb or fuel injection and build your engine to suit this kit. Don't believe otherwise this is not a complete kit and you'l either blow your engine or it will run so poorly as it boost up that it will not be driveable. Additional cost will suddenly add up with serious engine failure or getting fuel pump, carb / standalone efi, low compression, forged engine build etc to make it work.

Custom (Expensive but works well)
You could have an engine builder build you an engine specifically for the purpose and a knowledgeable shop/ person build you a custom turbo setup. This will obviously run major dollars but likely be the fairly capable of holding boost without failure. Best option for the throw money at it approach.

DIY
in the tuner world diesel truck turbo's are the hot setup. These look huge but are as perfect as it gets for a cylinder or twin turbo V6/V8 and larger turbo's from industrial generators and semi trucks are pretty well perfect for single turbo V6/V8 engines. Manifold designs can be as simple as log headers made from plumbing tees, to bolt on turbo manifolds or custom built equal length headers. cheap chinese intercoolers can be bought off ebay in any size, shape or thickness you can fit in there and plumbing it all together can be as easy as having an exhaust shop bend up some exhaust piping or having a mandrel bend aluminum setup. Funny as it sounds the biggest problem with a turbo is it makes too much power then suddenly your either blowing engines repeatedly till your building a high dollar engine that can take it or finding ways to limit output.

Boost will be determined by your level of engine build and theres no set in stone number for that. sometimes a blown engine is your only indicator you've gone to far.

But again we come back to the fuel management and this is the costly end of a turbo build. blow through carbs can be dyno tuned or crudely tuned at home with a wideband 02 sensor (this is a must have for any turbo engine) or even build your own megasquirt ECU from individual boards, diodes, capacitors you assemble at home or bolt on EFI controllers tuned on a dyno.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

You can spend all of the money you want if you let it get out of control. For a non intercooled blow through setup, if you could modify the carb yourself, then could easily be less than a $1000 - especially with your HP goals. And the same build with meth injection, custom built carb, custom stainless steel piping, etc. can add alot of money in a hurry.

Good luck - Jim

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ive had lots of experience with turbochargers over the years and I don't mean to be rude but if your making this post your not ready to purchase parts to do this.

Boost will be determined by your level of engine build and theres no set in stone number for that. sometimes a blown engine is your only indicator you've gone to far.

My intention is not to be casting stones, but it sounds like you have alot of experience building turbo setups and then blowing them up?? And now offering advice telling someone that he is over his head??

For a mild streetable build it is more than possible to build without blowing them up without spending a fortune. Usually the 'blowing it up issue' can be directly related to 'boost is addictive' - 8psi was good, 13psi was great and 18 psi scattered parts. Not understanding timing and fuel system requirements and tuning of both is a recipe for disaster. Not understanding how to 'creep up' on a tune, or not understanding AFR can lead to disaster as well. But telling the OP to scrap the whole idea is not sound advice. I thought the reason for 'how to' forums like these were to help people like the OP with situations like this?

FYI - a blown engine is NOT the only indicator that you've gone too far unless you are over your head.

My two cents :/

DEVILSorchard

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2014
My intention is not to be casting stones, but it sounds like you have alot of experience building turbo setups and then blowing them up?? And now offering advice telling someone that he is over his head
My two cents :/

Thanks. I hadn't meant that post to read like that.
Turbo's are worth every effort and dollar to get setup. I've never personally had an engine failure with them but oh man I've started a few projects to find I've got a bit carried away and will require major fuel upgrades to compensate $$ so I didn't.

My intentions with that post was to give anyone attempting this some food for thought in planning a build to not get in over their head by jumping on an 80$ ebay turbo or 400$ kit and expecting miracles.
The relative cheapness of blowers are their own worst enemy not unlike all the cheap 6-71 projects of the past that never got finished when all the unexpected cost added up.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Thanks guys for your input I know turbo systems are costly this turbo setup is something for me to enjoy in the streets I'm not expecting 1000hp I'm not expecting 500hp if it reaches 400hp I'm good this build is a very mild build I'm only using the ebay kit cause it's brand new and I'm getting it for $400 complete minus the intercooler it's one of those cxracing kit.I'm already upgrading my fuel system I do most of the work on my car so I save money on labor the car will get tuned by a shop and for the carb I'm getting a blown thru carb as a trade for other parts I have that the guy needs.I appreciate the info but again this build ain't for racing it's for cruising and enjoying the sound of twin turbos spooling. The real money for twin turbos will be spent on a ls motor I'm going to swap into my malibu maybe next winter but thanks again for input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor