Turn Signal and High Beams Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
So today I was painting my inner fender and core support so i disconnected the battery cables and three grounds, the one on the fender coming directly off the negative cable and both over top the headlights. I made sure that all the grounds were down to bare metal before i put them back on.
Now, my low beams are dim on the drivers side and i have no high beam. I still have the drivers side turn signal. I have no passenger side turn signal but my low beam is bright. I still have high beams. The part that is troubling me is that the turn signals work without the lights on. I would appreciate any help. Don't you hate when simple jobs turn complicated?!?!?

Mar 30, 2010
sounds like a ground issue to me recheck your grounds
you cleaned the frame after painting but did you clean wires too ???
did you get all paint and primer off ???
do you have bad ground wire loos connection
all else fails add another ground
reason why turn singals work with lights off is you have poor ground u have good enough ground to run turn singals but after you put the load of headlights with it it cant keep up

swmn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2010
hotrodpaully said:
sounds like a ground issue to me recheck your grounds
reason why turn singals work with lights off is you have poor ground u have good enough ground to run turn singals but after you put the load of headlights with it it cant keep up

Agree with Paully. Your existing ground has enough current carrying capacity to operate the turnsignals, but same is overwhelmed trying to run the headlights. I just signed up here for similar reasons in my 1985 Arrowhead GP.

85montemj

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2009
well i put new grounds on a couple of days ago and everything works fine when its running. why wouldn't it work when the key is just turned over?

cstyl

n00b
May 30, 2010
im having this same problem with my 85 monte SS, my front left turn signal works when the lights are off but wont work at all when my parking lights or headlights are on. how do i go about fixing that ground? do i just ground the turn signal, or a new ground from the batt to the chassis? id like to get this problem fixed asap so any help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor