MONTE CARLO Turn signal/wiper lever a

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm assuming your car is 82-up. There are basically 3 different part numbers of switches.

It's actually your dimmer/wiper pivot switch. Your stalk goes into the slot, which controls your wipers when you twist the washer paddle or the wiper switch. The cruise switch is on the stalk, but its wire goes to the circuit connection under the steering column (exposed wire sheath that goes down the column separate from the dimmer switch rod/wiper wires). The turn signal portion of it is controlled by the metal dimmer/wiper pivot switch to the turn signal which, basically has nothing to do with this particular switch. I don't think it does, but cannot recall for sure if it does have a hole in the back or not. If you can, you can poke a rat tail file or similar in there to poke out the broken stem. You MAY be able to drill a small hole, but recall the wiring for the wiper stuff attaches back there so not sure what you may or may not run into if you did. But if you find you can, that's what I'd do rather than risk tearing up that expensive pivot. This is a complex part. So even if you can find one, you'll pay upwards of $100 and more for one.

Should you need a replacement, IF you have delay wipers (RPO CD4), you will need pivot switch assembly GM #7843683 or equivalent. Standard DS-817 is one aftermarket option. I'm guessing you have delay wipers because you have a tilt wheel. (Delay, tilt, doesn't matter if column shift or factory console). This is the only instance I can find that the same part number pivot is the same whether you have console or not.

Non-tilt wheels were not available with CD4 if you had a factory console. You could do it without a console, but that was the only way. For reference, if you got a non-tilt column shift and have delay wipers, you can get GM #7842716 for a replacement switch. (No tilt, no console, but have delay wipers)

But- you could get tilt and not get CD4 wipers.

If you have a tilt wheel but 2 speed wipers, factory console or not, you need switch GM #7843684 (column shift or factory console, tilt, no delay)

GM #7842714 is the non-delay wiper switch with console and without tilt. Standard DS-816 is your aftermarket option for non-delay wipers. (Factory Console, no delay, no tilt)

You must match up your switch to the type of wiper system you have. Confusing? Yes. But know your car.

Good thing is, even used, they used these same part number switches on GRUNCHES of cars of the era like F-bodies, G-bodies, B-bodies, etc. So a junkyard gem may be worth it if the j/y car still has a column in it. Again, know what the car has to match yours.

As far as the stalk- you can use any same year stalk to fit in any of your dimmer pivot switches regardless. They don't have to match. The switch itself determines your wiper positions. The delay handle just has the correct markings. Just saying.

For your own specific application here- Boils down to you will use p/n 7843683 if you have delay, 7843684 if you do not have delay wipers since you have a tilt wheel already. Console or not.
Now if I could find one, would the 7842716 switch fit a '81 & older column?
:hijack:
Now back to the original posting.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Now if I could find one, would the 7842716 switch fit a '81 & older column?
:hijack:
Now back to the original posting.
150 with free shipping! :)

Not sure about the fit on an 81 back. I'm thinking not, but I have not researched it.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
150 with free shipping! :)

Not sure about the fit on an 81 back. I'm thinking not, but I have not researched it.
Cheaper than I thought. Might have to dig into my spare columns to check that too.

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
I jut went through this on my 1986 -

I had to pull the column out to get the broken piece out - it is a twist lock in the socket.

Hope the link helps get you a new one - I just use the base to turn the signals and I also got a new sgnal switch intnernals too while I was in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor