TV boost valves- o-ringed vs. non-o-ringed

Longroof79

Longroof79

Geezer
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As I'm trying to figure out the parts needed for my 200-4R build, I noticed that there's two types of boost valves used...o-ringed and non-o-ringed. That also applies to the low/reverse valve as well.
What is the advantage, or disadvantage of using one or the other?
I'm guessing the o-ring type allows less pressure loss?

motorheadmike

motorheadmike

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 18, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
If the valves were an interference fit you could go with the non-o-ring valves. But, wear and manufacturing tolerances indicate the need for a way to reduce pressure losses.

Longroof79

Longroof79

Geezer
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mike,
I am assuming that the o-ring type might be for pumps that have had significant miles and wear.
The o-ringed valves might help compensate for bore wear....again, I'm speculating.
Anyone else have a theory on this? What do some of you transmission builders suggest?

I found an explanation on the Sonnax site. It explains the purpose and function of the o-ringed valve.
https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resourc...imize-performance-with-sonnax-o-ringed-valves

Thanks again Mike. You pretty much explained it. No one else seems to have an answer for me...oh well.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
442_87 Transmission / Rear End / Driveline 25