Twin turbo ls overheating issue

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
So this questions mostly for anyone thats had the issue. i have a built ls and am running a griffin radiator with a dual fan setup. i forget the fan maker. but the car is slowly creeping up in temp while idle. i replaced the thermostat but still the same. i have since ordered a 160 degree tstat and am going to try that. Any suggestions? also the front drive kit is a holley midmount kit with a new waterpump aswell. system was completely burped.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Do you have the heater hooked up? Bypassed?

Reactions: 1 user

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Do you have the heater hooked up? Bypassed?
ammit. i tried to put all the info and still missed some. bypassed, and have the hose from one opening to the other (as required by holley). im in south florida, last thing i need is a heater

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Steam vents hooked up on the heads? No reason you should need a 160 tstat

Reactions: 4 users

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Steam vents hooked up on the heads? No reason you should need a 160 tstat
yes. steam vents hooked up to heads and exit into the back of holleys mid mount system. i agree on the 160 not needed but just trying to throw things at it at this point. the engine is completely built new. and the passenger side valve cover puffs a significant amount of smoke out of the catch can. not sure if thats an issue. but im running a griffin radiator with no trans cooler on it, and the fans are dual 10 or 12" .

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Yes. I believe fans are maradyne they have a shroud and are wired as pullers. Pull a ton of air aswell. But not enough to bring temps down.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
We need pics to be able to dive into this
Tom Hanks Fancy GIF

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Plugged cooling fins on the outside of rad would cause bad heat transfer, as well as plugged cores inside the rad...... Do a visual on outside to see if fins are full of mud an dirt... I also see cooling fins full of paint causing the same issue.. Warm up engine and run yer hand from the top to bottom of the cores to make sure they are the same temp. If there were a few plugged cores, there would be a cool spot on the rad.....

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor