Under body products

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
What is a decent brand of epoxy primer?
How does epoxy primer react with light rust. Jusy curious not that I'm Planning to paint over rust but there is always a chance a seam is not perfectly clean.
I cant afford ppg so I like spi, but you have to follow the directions regarding temp(you have to with all but spi is more sensitive to it) and cant use any acid under it unless it's neutralized. It's like glue tho, when cured it's about impenetrable.

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I did the media blast on mine and then primed/painted using Dupont Centari ( three-component, 5.0 VOC, acrylic enamel topcoat ) But then I live in Texas, no rock salt/chloride or sand on the roads.. The blueish tint is from the blue tarp covering the car. It is very durable (obviously not as hard as the armor coating!) Whatever you do don't do the rubberized coating that everyone uses in the inner fenders. It will come off when using a power washer and a lot of them spray on with a brownish color. . It will peal and hold moisture in the crevices.

Attachments

• Underbody13.JPG
    Underbody13.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DriveShaftSafetyloop4.jpg
    DriveShaftSafetyloop4.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
What is a decent brand of epoxy primer?
How does epoxy primer react with light rust. Jusy curious not that I'm Planning to paint over rust but there is always a chance a seam is not perfectly clean.

I like Transtar products. You are only supposed to apply it to clean metal but if a seam isn't perfectly clean, treat it with Rust Mort, then you can coat with your epoxy primer.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I did the media blast on mine and then primed/painted using Dupont Centari ( three-component, 5.0 VOC, acrylic enamel topcoat ) But then I live in Texas, no rock salt/chloride or sand on the roads.. The blueish tint is from the blue tarp covering the car. It is very durable (obviously not as hard as the armor coating!) Whatever you do don't do the rubberized coating that everyone uses in the inner fenders. It will come off when using a power washer and a lot of them spray on with a brownish color. . It will peal and hold moisture in the crevices.
Do they still make Centari ? Back in the day I used that and Delstar for almost everything. The motor in my 81 is Delstar over Dupont Variprime. Another really great product.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Do they still make Centari ? Back in the day I used that and Delstar for almost everything. The motor in my 81 is Delstar over Dupont Variprime. Another really great product.
Dad's Galaxie was painted with Centauri in 2020. Gloss Black.
Resized_20211105_124036.jpg

:hijack:

Lots of good advice in here. If you are going to blast it clean, I agree with epoxy primer and then Upol Raptor. Great stuff and is said to be relatively easy to clean, if you care about that. I did a truck bed with it and I think a lot of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I've wondered what the difference in 4:1 epoxy primer vs 1:1 epoxy primer.
Dad's Galaxie was painted with Centauri in 2020. Gloss Black.
View attachment 212660

:hijack:

Lots of good advice in here. If you are going to blast it clean, I agree with epoxy primer and then Upol Raptor. Great stuff and is said to be relatively easy to clean, if you care about that. I did a truck bed with it and I think a lot of it.
Where's the rest of that car? That is like a chick with huge b**bs wearing a sweater. 1 of my favorite cars ever, 65 Galaxie 500 coupe. My favorite Ford for sure.

Does anyone know the difference between 4:1 epoxy primer and 1:1. I used 4:1 dimension epoxy primer. And 1:1 spi epoxy primer. I noticed the dimension sanded alot easier, smelled totally different, and didn't seem to be as tough since I gouged it easily when removing the roof skin. The spi doesn't gouge when cured, sands like crap, and smells alot stronger then the dimension did.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
yeah his dad's ford is sweet.there's a build thread on it. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/dads-62-ford-galaxie.61338/
I've never run into a primer that was worth a dam that ratio'd out 1:1.the 4:1:1 +/- the reducer is pretty standard.with basecoats the 1:1 more common place.epoxy usually sands like crap.it's designed to be the foundation of it all where it "usually"gets topcoated inside a window w/additional primer/sealers etc and those subsequent topcoats get sanded.this is just my experiences btw

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor