Underhood education, 231 CCC - What are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Absolutely. Usually it is broken, unavailable, and left off. I go all the way to solder the wire to the choke fitting and then add a bullet connector a little upstream. Remember that when it breaks.

As I recall you can buy the pigtail to replace it. May be worth looking

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Attached the hose with the bolt in it to the Thermac. Fired it up, and it seemed to run fine. Not sure why the bozos that worked on it previously blocked it off.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I recall you can buy the pigtail
Last time I saw them it was a RockAuto closeout and I bought all 3 of them. But maybe Dorman makes it now. I'll bet someone took off the air cleaner, the hose fell off, caused a vacuum leak, and an over-worked grease monkey plugged it rather than find where it went.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Lazy and not understanding the need.
The Thermac system is quite important as it prevents carb base plate icing in cool humid climates thus preventing cold drivability issues until complete warm up. I can expand on it more if you would like

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Actually just took the wagon out to dinner, and drivability seemed to deteriorate a little after I hooked it up. A little more hesitation right off idle. Not horrible, but noticeable.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I've found over the years that a lot of hesitations are traced back to a tired EGR opening too quickly.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
After dinner, power and acceleration seemed to be smoother. Maybe the engine just needed to heat-soak a little. Overall, couldn’t be happier, considering it had been sitting for 7 years. New tires definitely helped.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor