UPDATE 01/12/23: 424, 621,198 and 622 A/C Compressor Decals Coming To Life

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A while back I bought one of those 198 Harriosn A/C compressor decals from The Parts Place. It turns out, it's the same part everyone else has. It's an ok part. If you don't have one, it's better than nothing. But I'd rather go with nothing rather than use the decal. I had one from a 622 compressor, so I just made a prototype from that, then ended up selling the prototypes recently. I almost said fugg it but now I started working on that project a little and the next thing I knew, I had a 198 and 622 decal. There's still a couple of little tweaks I want to do yet, but for the most part, they look pretty good.

I see that Highway Stars has a 621 compressor for the turbo 6 cars, and while they claim their stuff is "correct", I will say that it's pretty decent, but not all the way there yet. Heck, mine aren't even correct to a "T", but a helluva lot closer to the factory one. I try to emulate the details as best I can, and sometimes I can't. But this is exactly why the restoration business sucks huge donkey balls when it comes to restoration decals. They don't pay attention to the details. What's even stranger is that The Parts Place has a 621 as well, but when I saw it under the 87 442 decals, I was like, aw hell no. The 622 is correct, not the 621. Again, details. Or lack thereof.

Since nobody sells the 622, I started doing research. It appears that there wasn't much changes from a 198 and 622, so I just made both.

622 in the wild.
87 442 622 Harrison Compressor decal.png

And a 198 in the wild.

84 Olds 198 Compressor.jpg

Here's my new prototypes. I've since darkened the yellow a bit and a couple of other slight changes to get them closer to looking passable.

Top is my artwork. 2nd is the Parts Place decal. Better than nothing, but not real accurate. Next is my 622 artwork and followed up by my template I used, an original 87 622 decal. My prototypes show a tad wider and taller than normal because you have to have some "overhang" so when the decal gets trimmed by the cutter, you've got the edges covered. They should be available soon. You can see how much difference there is between the Parts Place decal and my prototype.

Harrison AC R4 Compressor Decal Comparison.JPG

Reactions: 10 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Outstanding work. After all the hard work of restoring these cars it’s nice to have this level of quality for the finished touches to set them off real nice!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
OK, I had NO friggin' clue what I was doing with these at first, and those "Code No." entries were messing with me as I couldn't figure out what all that meant- at first. I was just trying to figure out the font on the Codes so I was just tossing them in without regard. Then I had an epiphany while looking at the one I yanked off my car.... Code No. 031771 didn't mean much to me at first. Then it dawned on me my car was built in April, thus if you back up the parts dates a few weeks the compressor must've been made in either February or March. 03....Could it be March? 17 is the day, and 7 must be the last digit of the year, 87. And like some other parts codes, there's usually a shift number to go with that. More research says the last digit is the shift as every example I can find is either a 1, 2, or 3. So my compressor was built March 17, 1987 on first shift.

The model number is nothing more than the original production part number. The replacement catalog part number may or may not be the same, and they did change that as they went. Like it's amazing that the service part number for the 198 and 622 compressors is the same one. Just a note, a 198 is considered a "long shaft" and the 622 is considered a "short shaft". The rotating units are exactly the same, however, regardless of all the peripheral stuff.

With that information, it's easy to figure out what information to put on the Code No. blank areas. Plus I found a Code No. font that is probably a 99.9% match to what Delco used, so I can change the numbers as needed. I am now armed to be able to replicate nearly any R4 compressor decal they used for factory assembly using this style decal.

Check out the 2nd 622 decal "Caution" block in the test pic below. In case anyone needs one with the R-134 swapover... :)

So if you need a properly date coded production decal...why go for those "generic" ones with the wrong fonts and date codes?

434 was used on 85 Monte Carlos. 622 on 86-88 Cutlass Olds V8, 198 was used on a variety of 83-86 GM cars, Cutlass V8 for sure, but could very well be others. 621 was on the GNs. F-bodies used about 6,482 different numbers over the years, but 634 was one I recall.

Like I said, it's hard to get this stuff perfect, but these look a whole lot better than most of them out there on the market.

Harrison AC R4 Compressor Decals Various copy.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Agreed that’s very thorough detail and must be very satisfying but truthfully with all the other amazing advice you give us I’m not surprised you figured it out. Great work!!

Reactions: 1 user

84Rocket

n00b
Aug 30, 2015
OK, I had NO friggin' clue what I was doing with these at first, and those "Code No." entries were messing with me as I couldn't figure out what all that meant- at first. I was just trying to figure out the font on the Codes so I was just tossing them in without regard. Then I had an epiphany while looking at the one I yanked off my car.... Code No. 031771 didn't mean much to me at first. Then it dawned on me my car was built in April, thus if you back up the parts dates a few weeks the compressor must've been made in either February or March. 03....Could it be March? 17 is the day, and 7 must be the last digit of the year, 87. And like some other parts codes, there's usually a shift number to go with that. More research says the last digit is the shift as every example I can find is either a 1, 2, or 3. So my compressor was built March 17, 1987 on first shift.

The model number is nothing more than the original production part number. The replacement catalog part number may or may not be the same, and they did change that as they went. Like it's amazing that the service part number for the 198 and 622 compressors is the same one. Just a note, a 198 is considered a "long shaft" and the 622 is considered a "short shaft". The rotating units are exactly the same, however, regardless of all the peripheral stuff.

With that information, it's easy to figure out what information to put on the Code No. blank areas. Plus I found a Code No. font that is probably a 99.9% match to what Delco used, so I can change the numbers as needed. I am now armed to be able to replicate nearly any R4 compressor decal they used for factory assembly using this style decal.

Check out the 2nd 622 decal "Caution" block in the test pic below. In case anyone needs one with the R-134 swapover... :)

So if you need a properly date coded production decal...why go for those "generic" ones with the wrong fonts and date codes?

434 was used on 85 Monte Carlos. 622 on 86-88 Cutlass Olds V8, 198 was used on a variety of 83-86 GM cars, Cutlass V8 for sure, but could very well be others. 621 was on the GNs. F-bodies used about 6,482 different numbers over the years, but 634 was one I recall.

Like I said, it's hard to get this stuff perfect, but these look a whole lot better than most of them out there on the market.

View attachment 214216
These look great! Do you have a 198 available for purchase? Just R&R'd the compressor in my '84 H/O so I need a new decal.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor